I witnessed shop lifting in Accrington's Holland & Barrett today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Shop lifting only works if people are prepared to buy the stuff.
Who would ever buy a load of steak or cheese from a guy in the pub? But people clearly do. And they are knowingly supporting crime.

Or indeed "£554 of Manuka Honey". I had to google it to find out what it was.

Pssst wanna buy some Manuka Honey? Balances your chakra innit.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Over 300 quids worth of children's medicine was stolen from 'Savers' in Accrington's almost shop and customer deserted Arndale Centre the other day. The haul was sold to a nearby small shop around 2 minutes walk away, with the owner giving a mere 20 quid to the thieves. I know this from listening to the shop owner/employee, word gets around, grapevine. Surely this receiver and handler of stolen goods should at least be investigated? 🤔

Last edited:

gbb

Legendary Member
It is rooted within a minority who tbh, see nothing wrong with it.
Within people we know I can list the following...
A neighbour who we know buys stuff from a local prolific shoplifter.
That prolific shoplifter used to live 2 doors up, he's been like it for 20 years.
We have friends of 30 years who come from a rough background. The grandmother (in her 80s)sees nothing wrong with her daughter (in her 60s) shoplifting and buys from her. The daughters grandson has been done for supplying cannabis. The whole family used to be quite nice, albeit rough around the edges 30 years ago but seem to have degenerated into a seeting mass of law breaking...and shrug their shoulders at the fact its illegal.

I was in Asda 2 weeks ago, I witnessed what I thought were two instances of people putting items in their personal shopping bag. Now they might have been taking it out at the tills....I don't know but it looked suspicious. I also note there were 3 security guards on the doors there last week.

It's difficult to nail it down, society cohesion has gone down the pan in the last 30 years, we are nothing (for the most part) more than isolated families living in estates with such a turnover of people that no one knows each other, there is no fear of being called out within the 'community
Add to that, the pressures on families with Inflation, energy costs, rent at ridiculous levels etc etc etc while companies make mountainous profits. You wonder why people do it ?

classic33

Leg End Member
It is rooted within a minority who tbh, see nothing wrong with it.
You wonder why people do it ?
They do it because they can.
West Yorkshire Police will not attend unless the amount, of stolen goods, exceeds £300(They're looking at raising it to £500). Or there's violence involved and someone is hurt.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I went in Accrington H&B yesterday, asking if any thefts had taken place since I was last in. The one behind the counter said "Yeah a few, but these things happen, what can you do" while staring into her phone, like she didn't give a toss. No wonder the manager, who's back from her holiday next Monday said "they'll be nicking like f..k, when I'm not there to stop 'em".

Last edited:
Over 300 quids worth of children's medicine was stolen from 'Savers' in Accrington's almost shop and customer deserted Arndale Centre the other day. The haul was sold to a nearby small shop around 2 minutes walk away, with the owner giving a mere 20 quid to the thieves. I know this from listening to the shop owner/employee, word gets around, grapevine. Surely this receiver and handler of stolen goods should at least be investigated? 🤔

At today's prices £300 of children's medicine is a small bottle of cough syrup and a plaster. The plaster does have a bears face on it though👍

I was but it was too hot, so I came back. Apolgies I'm being flippant with the shoplifting story. There's a solution here which is that people don't buy from the re seller, wether that happens though....

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I went in Accrington H&B yesterday, asking if any thefts had taken place since I was last in. The one behind the counter said "Yeah a few, but these things happen, what can you do" while staring into her phone, like she didn't give a toss. No wonder the manager, who's back from her holiday next Monday said "they'll be nicking like f..k, when I'm not there to stop 'em".

given the staff will likely be on minimum wage i can see how they will not be motivated to try to tackle the culprits and given the way a situation can escalate into violence especially now thugs tend to ready to "defend" their right to behave as they do i dont blame them.I was an assistant manager at a local small supermarket many years ago and when apprehending a shop lifter they tried to kick me in the nuts ,

Last edited:

DRM

Guru
Many years ago was installing a pool table in a supermarket canteen, there was a bit of noise & shouting going on, one staff member came in was overheard saying the assistant manager had apprehended a shoplifter outside, who tried to assault the assistant manager, turned out it wasn’t a good idea as the bloke was highly proficient at Muay Thai….suppose that’s one shoplifter that learnt his lesson

I haven't been in one for ages, I wanted some wheat (for home brew) once and theirs was really expensive.

Actually why are they selling body building stuff, I though they were more hippy new wave type of shop?

Whilst not at all condoning the theft I'm not surprised it happened given the outrageous high prices H & B charge for their products.
One thing I have noticed as I pass by H & B shops in various towns I visit is that I hardly ever see any customers in their shops.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Many years ago was installing a pool table in a supermarket canteen, there was a bit of noise & shouting going on, one staff member came in was overheard saying the assistant manager had apprehended a shoplifter outside, who tried to assault the assistant manager, turned out it wasn’t a good idea as the bloke was highly proficient at Muay Thai….suppose that’s one shoplifter that learnt his lesson

We have to be careful when proficient in a martial arts assuming you can apply it in a street situation that you don't get nicked for going to far.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Whilst not at all condoning the theft I'm not surprised it happened given the outrageous high prices H & B charge for their products.
One thing I have noticed as I pass by H & B shops in various towns I visit is that I hardly ever see any customers in their shops.

I not sure it has anything to do with the actual prices. It's the fact that these scrotts can nick the stuff and flog it cheap to anyone who wants it to fund their various habits.
Where I live there has been a spate of thefts from Wenzels and Gregg's bakers, not the most expensive around, with groups nicking the sandwiches and rolls from the shelves.

Top Bottom