I witnessed shop lifting in Accrington's Holland & Barrett today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

View attachment 722655

The one who accosted me was shall we say physically encouraged ๐ŸฅŠ:whistle: to stop boozing with a few other such types in the local cemetery the other year. He was peeing where he sat and threatening those who said anything to him about his behaviour. I heard that one bloke had had enough and decided to encourage them to leave and not return. Last summer a photo of him sprawled out in a bus shelter with vomit all over his face xx( was posted on the local gossip etc Facebook page. Yes, he has problems, but he's a menace who turns aggressive at the drop of a hat.๐Ÿง

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Not shoplifting, but still theft even though some may say it's on a very low scale. Today while working in the clothing shop I work in a couple came in. The bloke had a big bunch of daffodils sticking out of his carrier bag. He had a whiff of weed (cannabis) about him and looked like a shoplifter, so I kept a beady eye on him. He kept asking silly questions about clothes. So much so that I thought I'd ask him a question to end his silly questions. I asked him in a friendly way why he had a big bunch of daffodils in his bag. He was a bit vague about it at first, but his partner chirped up that he'd picked them in the nearby church grounds, seemingly thinking it was funny. He then said that they are there to be picked and he quote.....pays his taxes so he's entitled to pick them. You have to be careful with these volatile types, so I left it at "well, so do I, but I like flowers left in the ground for others who also pay their tax to see". I was tempted to say something stronger, but it wouldn't have been worth it. How about that eh!! An adult picking flowers out of a church grounds because he thinks he's entitled to do so! Besides, the church grounds aren't council owned. They are private, so the bulbs will have been bought and planted by church volunteers, not by the tax funded local authority.

Theft? Yes, I'd say so!!

classic33

Leg End Member
Not shoplifting, but still theft even though some may say it's on a very low scale. Today while working in the clothing shop I work in a couple came in. The bloke had a big bunch of daffodils sticking out of his carrier bag. He had a whiff of weed (cannabis) about him and looked like a shoplifter, so I kept a beady eye on him. He kept asking silly questions about clothes. So much so that I thought I'd ask him a question to end his silly questions. I asked him in a friendly way why he had a big bunch of daffodils in his bag. He was a bit vague about it at first, but his partner chirped up that he'd picked them in the nearby church grounds, seemingly thinking it was funny. He then said that they are there to be picked and he quote.....pays his taxes so he's entitled to pick them. You have to be careful with these volatile types, so I left it at "well, so do I, but I like flowers left in the ground for others who also pay their tax to see". I was tempted to say something stronger, but it wouldn't have been worth it. How about that eh!! An adult picking flowers out of a church grounds because he thinks he's entitled to do so! Besides, the church grounds aren't council owned. They are private, so the bulbs will have been bought and planted by church volunteers, not by the tax funded local authority.

Theft? Yes, I'd say so!!
What does a shoplifter look like?
I've seen them wearing expensive suits down to cheap tracksuits. Clean shaven to in need of a drastic clean up of facial hair.

There is no one look of a typical shoplifter.

classic33

Leg End Member
Oh, so no concern about the daffodil theft then, just nit picking over what shoplifters look like. :rolleyes:
You tell me what they look like then!

I spent over ten years watching out for shoplifters, seldom did two look the same. Even if they'd come in at the same time.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
While in a friend's shop on Friday afternoon a 'female vicar' or maybe a priest walked past the window and looked in. I waved at her to gauge her response. She didn't respond. Then about 15 minutes later she came into the shop. She said she was asking for donations either cash or gifts to help feed the town's rough sleepers. I asked her which church she was from, meaning which denomination. She replied that she was from a church about 5 minutes away that was empty and in the process of being renovated. She didn't say the name of the church or which denomination it is. The shop's owner gave her a small value gift. This 'vicar/priest' thanked the shopkeeper then left. I then said to my friend that she was a bit dodgy. She just did not look like a female vicar! She had loads of make-up on, smelt of cigarettes, wore a cheaply made suit, whereas genuine ones tend to wear well made suits although sometimes a bit old and tatty. She just did not seem convincing. My friend agreed, saying she only gave her a small value gift as she felt the same. I think this 'vicar/priest' was a con artist. Ok, she had a 'dog collar'/clerical collar on, but you can buy them on fleabay for a fiver, plus the main alarm bell alert was her swaying the which church/denomination are you from question. I mentioned her to a few shop owner/shop workers yesterday, but non had seen her or been approached for donations by her. ๐Ÿค”

Last edited:

Jameshow

Veteran
While in a friend's shop on Friday afternoon a 'female vicar' or maybe a priest walked past the window and looked in. I waved at her to gauge her response. She didn't respond. Then about 15 minutes later she came into the shop. She said she was asking for donations either cash or gifts to help feed the town's rough sleepers. I asked her which church she was from, meaning which denomination. She replied that she was from a church about 5 minutes away that was empty and in the process of being renovated. She didn't say the name of the church or which denomination it is. The shop's owner gave her a small value gift. This 'vicar/priest' thanked the shopkeeper then left. I then said to my friend that she was a bit dodgy. She just did not look like a female vicar! She had loads of make-up on, smelt of cigarettes, wore a cheaply made suit, whereas genuine ones tend to wear well made suits although sometimes a bit old and tatty. She just did not seem convincing. My friend agreed, saying she only gave her a small value gift as she felt the same. I think this 'vicar/priest' was a con artist. Ok, she had a 'dog collar'/clerical collar on, but you can buy them on fleabay for a fiver, plus the main alarm bell alert was her swaying the which church/denomination are you from question. I mentioned her to a few shop owner/shop workers yesterday, but non had seen her or been approached for donations by her. ๐Ÿค”

Did she run the post office by any chance? ๐Ÿคฃ

Top Bottom