I won't make a very good cat burglar....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
No, nothing to do with my cats...

MrsF accidentally locked us out earlier - I went out to remove the parcel shelf from her car as she was taking some of her late mother's rubbish to the tip. she picked up my keys, which didn't have the house key on (I'd put them on another set). Anyway locked out. - Teams meeting in 10 minutes... :ohmy:

Son's window was open, so into the garage for step ladders. Managed to haul my aged body onto the conservatory roof (without going through the poly-carbonate) and edge along the roof strut. Opened window, but it was mid chest height, and no amount of shuffling could I comfortably get my shoulders through and enough leverage to get in.

Gingerly edged back down so not to fall through the roof. Phoned son, to see where he was (out on site and not near home) and he suggested getting a broom handle from the garage, poking it through the letter box, and using the broom handle to lift the door latch - genius. (PS that's how he'd previously broke in I believe).

Except, despite skinny cyclists wrists, my hands are big ish, and too 'deep' to get through. MrsF arrived with a 'litter' grabber - her hand just fitted through and she managed to push latch open. Phew.

I was 3 minutes late for my Teams meeting ! :wacko:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...

MrsF accidentally locked us out earlier - I went out to remove the parcel shelf from her car as she was taking some of her late mother's rubbish to the tip. she picked up my keys, which didn't have the house key on (I'd put them on another set). Anyway locked out. - Teams meeting in 10 minutes... :ohmy:

Son's window was open, so into the garage for step ladders. Managed to haul my aged body onto the conservatory roof (without going through the poly-carbonate) and edge along the roof strut. Opened window, but it was mid chest height, and no amount of shuffling could I comfortably get my shoulders through and enough leverage to get in.

Gingerly edged back down so not to fall through the roof. Phoned son, to see where he was (out on site and not near home) and he suggested getting a broom handle from the garage, poking it through the letter box, and using the broom handle to lift the door latch - genius. (PS that's how he'd previously broke in I believe).

Except, despite skinny cyclists wrists, my hands are big ish, and too 'deep' to get through. MrsF arrived with a 'litter' grabber - her hand just fitted through and she managed to push latch open. Phew.

I know where you live, thanks for the tips..... :laugh:

figbat

Slippery scientist
I have two locked-out stories:

1. I was recovering from a hernia repair op so was off work at home. Locked myself out. I got a ladder from the shed and went up to the first floor bedroom window which was ajar. Using tools from the shed I removed the top window giving me enough access to go through it head first into a forward roll onto our bed. 2 minutes after breaking in the police arrived and to verify I was the house occupier I had to tell them what was in various kitchen cupboards. Hernia repair held.

2. Different house, locked out. First floor bathroom top window ajar but too small for me, but accessible from the roof of the ground floor extension beneath it. I posted my young son through it feet first and this time no police. Always have a young son with you.

If you can easily break in then someone else can and they take less care of your belongings in doing so.

newts

Veteran
A bump key or a pair of hair grips appropriately shaped will open most pin tumbler locks pretty quickly.

T4tomo

Guru
Late after a night out and getting home to discover i hadn't taken my keys with me, I shinned up a drain pipe to my first floor bedroom window in digs / shared house in my 2nd year at uni, somewhat worse for wear. I couldn't open it so had to shin back down again, whereupon my house mate stuck his head out of another window to ask me if I wanted letting in.:laugh:

I said yes please, I just assumed you'd all be asleep. He said he was, but I was far from a silent cat burglar!

looking back that was somewhat dangerous, i should have just knock on the door!

Tenkaykev

Guru

I’m sure I saw something similar in an episode of Mission : Impossible 😉

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Late after a night out and getting home to discover i hadn't taken my keys with me, I shinned up a drain pipe to my first floor bedroom window in digs / shared house in my 2nd year at uni, somewhat worse for wear. I couldn't open it so had to shin back down again, whereupon my house mate stuck his head out of another window to ask me if I wanted letting in.:laugh:

I said yes please, I just assumed you'd all be asleep. He said he was, but I was far from a silent cat burglar!

looking back that was somewhat dangerous, i should have just knock on the door!

I had visions of slipping and putting a leg through the poly-carbonate. I was in bear feet, as I'd only popped out the door to the car - I was in socks, but took them off for grip on the roof rails on the conservatory. Might have been able to get in with shoes.

Keep practising, you'll improve.

Try @I like Skol's house if yours stops being a challenge, I'm sure he won't mind...

Top Bottom