I won't make a very good cat burglar....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I bumped in to a mate who was limping badly. It turns out he'd got home from a heavy night out, and had lost his keys, so decided to climb in through the open bathroom window. He got almost all the way through, but his foot caught the window frame pulling it to, and trapping him by the ankle in mid air, apart from the bit of a hand he could get on the floor, so he couldn't go backwards to release his weight off the window.

After a lot of wriggling, he managed to fall free, damaging his head and arm to go with his now swollen ankle. He eventually found his door keys on the front step, where they had fallen as he rummaged through his pockets for them.

presta

Guru
My father used to work for Crittall Windows, who used to hire an ex-burglar to test their products, and his favourite tool of choice was a garden spade. There's one in every shed, and when jammed into the gap between door & frame, they make ideal levers for forcing the door open.

classic33

Leg End Member
I had visions of slipping and putting a leg through the poly-carbonate. I was in bear feet, as I'd only popped out the door to the car - I was in socks, but took them off for grip on the roof rails on the conservatory. Might have been able to get in with shoes.
The bear feet being used to confuse anyone who found footprints and/or fingerprints?

I readily admit to being childlike, but I can't be the only one that tries to imagine a garage looking like the second picture, each time a read a sticker like this...

1654715461290.png

1654715410973.png

Last edited:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
The bear feet being used to confuse anyone who found footprints and/or fingerprints?

Paw prints surely?

oldwheels

Legendary Member
No, nothing to do with my cats...

MrsF accidentally locked us out earlier - I went out to remove the parcel shelf from her car as she was taking some of her late mother's rubbish to the tip. she picked up my keys, which didn't have the house key on (I'd put them on another set). Anyway locked out. - Teams meeting in 10 minutes... :ohmy:

Son's window was open, so into the garage for step ladders. Managed to haul my aged body onto the conservatory roof (without going through the poly-carbonate) and edge along the roof strut. Opened window, but it was mid chest height, and no amount of shuffling could I comfortably get my shoulders through and enough leverage to get in.

Gingerly edged back down so not to fall through the roof. Phoned son, to see where he was (out on site and not near home) and he suggested getting a broom handle from the garage, poking it through the letter box, and using the broom handle to lift the door latch - genius. (PS that's how he'd previously broke in I believe).

Except, despite skinny cyclists wrists, my hands are big ish, and too 'deep' to get through. MrsF arrived with a 'litter' grabber - her hand just fitted through and she managed to push latch open. Phew.

I was 3 minutes late for my Teams meeting ! :wacko:

I keep a spare house key stashed nowhere too near the house just in case something similar was to happen. Not had to use it yet but could avert disaster.:ohmy:

Badger_Boom

Über Member
My father used to work for Crittall Windows, who used to hire an ex-burglar to test their products, and his favourite tool of choice was a garden spade. There's one in every shed, and when jammed into the gap between door & frame, they make ideal levers for forcing the door open.

A friend had his car broken into that way. With the spade he'd accidentally forgotten to carry with him to site.

By way of contrast, I've locked myself into our house having left the keys in the door outside and the Yale lock deadlocked. I climbed out of the sash window in the sitting room as casually as I could and let myself in again.

Top Bottom