IAM advice for drivers regarding cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Magna, you're right, and I recognised that too.

I suppose it's just another part of feeding motorists' sense of privilege. Does anyone remember the "road safety" adverts recently featuring young athletes killed before their prime, or motorcyclists who were invisible to car drivers? I was extremely annoyed that they were directed at the young people and the motorcyclists, saying "look out for cars", rather than at drivers, saying "look out for other road users".

barq

Twenty Inch said:
I suppose it's just another part of feeding motorists' sense of privilege. Does anyone remember the "road safety" adverts recently featuring young athletes killed before their prime, or motorcyclists who were invisible to car drivers? I was extremely annoyed that they were directed at the young people and the motorcyclists, saying "look out for cars", rather than at drivers, saying "look out for other road users".

I agree with you, cyclists are normally constructed as fringe road users. It is nice to remember that many roads weren't originally built for cars. :smile:

On a tangent: Was it Spen who had a theory that cyclists should learn lessons from gay rights campaigners? For such different issues I was initially surprised by some of the similarities - and a big one was visibility. (I mean that politically, not just in terms of amber pedal reflectors.)

Anyway it was an interesting read, and the more drivers who read and digest advice like that the safer we'll all be.

domtyler

Über Member
All very useful stuff, unlikely to have any effect on anything though. If someone wants to take an advanced motorist course then they are unlikely to be in the groups that pose the significant threat to cyclists.

Pete

I would like to see a specific mention of T-junctions (including the entrance to roundabouts): i.e. the need for motorists emerging at such a junction to look out for cyclists. Come to think of it, wasn't there a specific TV-advert campaign ("Think Bike") some years ago - although that was more to do with motorcycles? Perhaps it should be resurrected.

I mention this because I have had a number of near misses - and one collision, in just such a situation.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Pete said:
I would like to see a specific mention of T-junctions (including the entrance to roundabouts): i.e. the need for motorists emerging at such a junction to look out for cyclists. Come to think of it, wasn't there a specific TV-advert campaign ("Think Bike") some years ago - although that was more to do with motorcycles? Perhaps it should be resurrected.

I saw that ad again just a couple of weeks ago... Yes, aimed at motorcycles, and partly based on the fast closing speed of such vehicles - if you look right, then left, then go, there's time for motorbike to be upon you from the right, so you need to look right again...

Of course many motorists assume pedal bikes only travel at walking pace, so they could do with setting right on that.

But just looking (and SEEING) would be an improvement a lot of the time.

The IoM stuff is good, but I suspect many wouldn't bother to read all of it. What's needed are one-liners almost - that's what slogans are all about. You have to be willing to restrict the amount you say, in order to get it across. It would be interesting to see the effect of official (police?) flyers handed out perhaps randomly, with short snappy explanations about common situations...

Although one effect, of course, would be a lot of litter...:smile:

Or, from the Institute of Less Advanced Motorists:

Cyclists all travel at slow speeds and have low levels of road experience to match their intelligence. As a driver, you will need to take care to judge their speed as well as the road and weather conditions from your point of view. Remember too that virtually all cyclists have never driven a car, and so don’t recognise the problems that they can cause car drivers. In an accident involving a car and a cyclist, the cyclist will always be at fault.

The following tips for motorists have been prepared with the National Cycling Strategy Board to avoid adding to the damage that they cause to our cars every year.

Cyclists don’t have steel armour round them like we do. Use this to your advantage if you have an old car and get really close to them.

Sounding your horn when you are close will startle them, so do it often.

In traffic, make sure that you cut up a cyclist who is about to pass you on the near side.

Try to cut across a cyclist when you need to turn left at a junction. Don't wait behind the cyclist until the cyclist has either turned left or passed the junction as you will lose your opportunity.

Park with care and encourage any passengers to open a door when there is a cyclist coming up on either side. Don't check over your shoulder to see there’s no cyclist approaching before opening the driver’s door - you don't want to strain your neck for some vegan no hoper.

Cyclists are advised by the bunch of commies who seem to be their leaders to take a prominent position in the road well ahead of any manoeuvre to clog up the roads. If they ride in the middle of the road it is to obstruct your path. These are the type of people they are. If they're not on the roads in your way, they're pushing excrement through their next door neighour's letter box.

Cyclists often ride at some distance from the kerb to cause annoyance to motorists. Remember too that their ability to signal is limited compared to ours, and is usually limited to some half hearted gesture at the last moment, so try to anticipate what they might do from the position they have taken on the road. Please be patient and remember that if they had any brains they'd be able to get a job and buy a car.

Give young riders even more space than older ones as even if the kid doesn't do much damage to your prized hot hatch some of those cheapo MTBs can do a lot of damage to your bodywork.

Remember to use all your mirrors with extra care before changing direction when there are cyclists about. There might be a cyclist in your blind spot and it is easy to knock a mirror off on some old clot's bike. Pay particular attention on roundabouts as some of the idiots think that the Highway Code still applies when they get on a bike. Always signal at roundabouts by hooting and shaking your fist.

Finally, every motorist has seen some irresponsible cyclists use the pavement, road and zebra crossings, seemingly at random which shows you just what the rest of them are like if you give them half a chance. Responsible motorists can't stand cyclists and never miss a chance of driving in a puddle and giving them a good soaking.

domtyler said:
All very useful stuff, unlikely to have any effect on anything though. If someone wants to take an advanced motorist course then they are unlikely to be in the groups that pose the significant threat to cyclists.

Well, I know three people who've passed it at work.
- two are young lads who did it for the hell of it, admitted that they drove like they were supposed to in order to pass the test, are now are back to driving like nutters
- the other's a farty old guy who basically scares the hell out of me if he ever drives me : he does everything in slow motion, reacts after things have happened, follows the book lterally rather than applying it

But I agree with your point - I went along out of interest to an IAM meeting once and a guy took me and someone else out, firstly in his car as a demo, then each of us driving our own cars.
He said that neither of us would pass the IAM test because we weren't driving according to their system, it didn't mean we were bad drivers just that we didn't drive the way they'd teach us to, but he said that simply by turning-up there, by being interested in IAM, we were likely to be better-than-average drivers because most people weren't interested, weren't bothered about their driving, didn't think about the way they drove.

However, from what was described to us, and the way he showed us of the 'correct' IAM way to drive in his demo, I wasn't that convinced of what they were preaching/teaching and so never went back !

Globalti

Legendary Member
As with Andy wrx above I took some IAM lessons then was put forward for a mock test. After five minutes the bloke stopped me and told me we might as well pack it in. The reason? He said my driving was impeccable but because I wasn't driving to "the system" I would never pass. This is a recognised sequence of actions you are supposed to follow as you encounter road hazards. You can enter or exit the sequence at any point and re-enter as hazards present themselves.

Since I've been driving cars and motorbikes for 34 years and never had an accident I didn't feel the need to follow the system so I dropped out. Call me arrogant but that's what I felt at the time.

What many people miss about the IAM is that there is nothing that MUST be done at any time other than CONSIDER ... the use of a signal; the use of a horn; a gear change; a change of road position etc etc.

The test is no different to the method needed to get through the standard driving test - exagerate so that the examiner knows you are doing it. Nobody needs to move their head to use the rear view mirror but it is essential on a test. The same is true on IAM tests - very clear rear observations, very prominent position changes etc.

Like RR, I've been driving & riding for over 30 years, never had a moving accident, change my driving to suit conditions but still remember my sessions with the MetPol out of Alperton.

domtyler

Über Member
andy_wrx said:
Well, I know three people who've passed it at work.
- two are young lads who did it for the hell of it, admitted that they drove like they were supposed to in order to pass the test, are now are back to driving like nutters....

Yeah, I don't think I phrased it properly. I guess you can sum that whole article up in one short sentence, "Be considerate towards cyclists and other vulnerable road users".

That is basically all there is too it, the IAM is almost completely irrelevant to the safety of cyclists on the roads. As most drivers don't give a damn about anyone but theirselves and the law allows them to act as they wish around us we have to rely upon our own actions like taking the lane etc. in order to remain safe and alive.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
domtyler said:
"Be considerate..
That means thinking.

Unfortunately, most people seem to have given up thinking long ago, if indeed they were ever capable of it.

Especially those driving cars. After all, in many situations, if they thought about it, they wouldn't be driving a car at all, would they?

Top Bottom