IAM poll on sharing the road

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
http://www.iam.org.uk/policy-and-re...oad-motorists-motorcyclists-that-are-cyclists

The IAM are looking for contributions in their latest poll to see how motorists and cyclists share the road. They are also asking why those that do ride on pavements or through red lights to tell them why. This is slightly better a poll than the last cycling one they did so if everyone could share it about and contribute perhaps a reasonable picture can be built.

ACS

Legendary Member
done

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
I see the current majority on question 8 are saying 'I jump red lights because it is safer to get ahead of other traffic'

Is that the safest thing to do?

We are still in the minority even for our modal share, Gaz. Most cyclists wont or dont campaign ...or read up on the research and stats. It is our responsibility in my view to share this information as much as we can to avoid such perceptions. I've managed to get Silly Cyclists mentioned in a couple of letters to newspapers down here in the hope of spreading safety (as well as mentioning to join the CTC/BC and look up the cycling forums).

You're doing good work, Gaz. Perception is sadly everything when it comes to road use.

Reactions: gaz

400bhp

Guru
I do wonder what the purpose of this poll is. It is particularly loaded to the opinion that cycling is seen as a dangerous/undesireable activity.

e.g.

As a cyclist, what do you feel most worried about when cycling on the road? Select your top three:

rvw

Guru
It's fascinating that a very large majority of respondents claimed, as motorists, not to encroach on the advance stop lines, but a slightly larger majority had witnessed this frequently. Clearly it's all the other folks who are doing things wrong!

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
I do wonder what the purpose of this poll is. It is particularly loaded to the opinion that cycling is seen as a dangerous/undesireable activity.

e.g.

Too late. Most people will not cycle for those very fears. The current infrastructure leads to consternation and we've hovered around the 2% modal share for nearly 30 years. We can try all we might to say how safe it is but most just wont believe us.

It's fascinating that a very large majority of respondents claimed, as motorists, not to encroach on the advance stop lines, but a slightly larger majority had witnessed this frequently. Clearly it's all the other folks who are doing things wrong!

There is a risk of Kruger-Dunning or confirmation bias in these things... it can only ever provide a sample or infer where things have to be investigated more (just as with last years famous 56% in the Sustrans poll who were scared to cycle)

400bhp

Guru
Too late. Most people will not cycle for those very fears. The current infrastructure leads to consternation and we've hovered around the 2% modal share for nearly 30 years. We can try all we might to say how safe it is but most just wont believe us.

Not sure what your point is, or what you thought I was referring to?

Top Bottom