IAM poll on sharing the road

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Since it's being used as a cyclist-bashing exercise by a motoring organisation, I shan't bother.
I know, I know, who'd have thought it?

GilesM

Legendary Member
I do wonder what the purpose of this poll is. It is particularly loaded to the opinion that cycling is seen as a dangerous/undesireable activity.

Exactly, just another survey to appeal to those that have decided that motor vehicles and cyclists can't possible use the same roads, hence for the question:
6. As a cyclist, what do you feel most frustrated by when cycling on the road? Please select three:

I ticked the "other" box and put headwinds, they always upset me more than the majority of other vehicles.

I see the current majority on question 8 are saying 'I jump red lights because it is safer to get ahead of other traffic'

Is that the safest thing to do?

Against that a TfL study concluded that it was safer for cyclist to jump red lights. Paris is experimenting with allowing cyclists to do so legally after successful pilots in other cities and this year the House of Lords debated legalising it in Britain.

GrasB

Veteran
Actually the TfL study I found quickly showed that cyclists who were outside the blind spot of lorries were less likely to be killed. People who jumped red lights were less likely to be in the blind spot so didn't get hit. People who didn't jump red lights tended to simply filter to the front & stick them selves right in front of the HGV where they couldn't be seen (the blind spot directly in front of an HGV can hide a small car!) or end up in the HGVs near side blind spot. An equally effective method of avoiding a collision with an HGV is to simply stay back & not race to the front of the queue.

Norm

Against that a TfL study concluded that it was safer for cyclist to jump red lights. Paris is experimenting with allowing cyclists to do so legally after successful pilots in other cities and this year the House of Lords debated legalising it in Britain.
Should we use the same 'logic' in saying that Northern Ireland debated making helmets mandatory so it must be a good thing? Make your choice, RL, you can't have it both ways.

Should we use the same 'logic' in saying that Northern Ireland debated making helmets mandatory so it must be a good thing? Make your choice, RL, you can't have it both ways.

Why is it a choice? Its balancing evidence that people can weigh up themselves against the link posted by Gaz. I notice you didn't take him to task for his posting though. What is it about what I posted that makes you feel threatened by such information being available to people?

Norm

Why is it a choice? Its balancing evidence that people can weigh up themselves against the link posted by Gaz. I notice you didn't take him to task for his posting though. What is it about what I posted that makes you feel threatened by such information being available to people?
Threatened? More like frustrated at your struggles with basic comprehension. Have another little read and see if you can do better.

Top Bottom