Ian May cycles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sittingbull

Veteran
Some lovely looking bikes in this thread. I've still not seen the one my friend's got. He's told me he's ridden it a couple of times and was surprised by how well it rode. I think the expression he used was "lively", it just wanted to go :smile:

DonSchwann

Whilst at a loose end I started wondering how come there's such a frustrating scarcity of information on Ian May on the net. From CycleChat, RetroBike & Bike Forums, all I've really managed to discover is that Ian was probably a former racer who acquired "a burgeoning and deserved reputation as a quality framebuilder, operating from his premises in Bebington, Wirral", may have dabbled in the manufacture of "experimental frames" - or might just have bought frames in the rough (from Simoncini maybe) and badged them up as Ian Mays... Really, all that's for sure is that most of his frames are 531 with quality components...and some, like biggs682's, are beautifully aero tubed.

I'd love to know more, but where to look...? So much for the information age! :angry:

sittingbull

Veteran
You're right, there's not a lot out there. The last "active" reference I can find is to Ian May Cycles sponsoring (in the way of prizes) the Wirral Mini Triathlon on 30th. June 2001. There are numerous links with Ian May Shotblasting at the same Bebington address, possibly ongoing at the same time as the cycle business?

There will be local riders who remember the business, along with other local bike shops and of course clubs in the area.

Not sure whether @Sharky might have any background information?

DonSchwann

Ta @sittingbull - good info there! I had no idea the shop was still going in 2001; I'm guessing Ian had died by then and this is the period when his wife was running the business? There don't seem to be any late 90s/early 2000s Ian Mays around.

DonSchwann

Thanks @sittingbull, will definitely check that out!

sittingbull

Veteran
Which depends on:

1/ did he build or buy in his frames?..........sounds like a bit of both.
2/ did he work alone?...................................EDIT: uncertain, another forum mentions someone working in his shop, this may or may not have been Ian himself.
3/ how many years was he in business for?
4/ what percentage of his bikes survive?

I think DonSchwann's guesstimate of less than 100 is likely to be correct. I'd love one but they all look to be large frame sizes.

Do the frame serial numbers give an indication of production numbers or years?

Last edited:

DonSchwann

@sittingbull - interesting thoughts!

I think you're right about points 1 and 2, judging by the comments I've seen on the web. Relating to point 3, the frames I've seen seem to be mostly 80s, with possibly a few 70s ones thrown into the mix. Judging by its components, which I believe to be original to the first build (all contemporary with one another), mine is c. 1987. So, in terms of active production (or active badging up at least!) Ian May probably existed for 10 to 15 years max.

On to frame serial numbers... mine has F 01370 stamped on the BB. Now I'm guessing that the last two digits aren't a reference to 1970... I wouldn't know how to date from this code.

My idea that there are probably 100 or less left is just a guess. I think in all my research on't web I've probably come across 15 Ian Mays. Since the power of Google is strong, I reckon a ratio of 1 (known) to 5 or 6 (unknown) is probably about right... so, roughly 100.

They aren't all large frame sizes BTW. Mine's a little too small for me (but I'll forgive it that) at c. 21 inches.

Last edited:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
just checked mine and i cant see any frame numbers anywhere at all ?

if i remember rightly mine was bought in 1986 and is the " aero" tubing which more ls more like somebody has put the tubes in a vice to close them up and make them more aerodynamic

DonSchwann

Nothing at all on the bottom of the BB, biggs682? Aside from the main number, I think (from memory since I'm away from the bike at the moment) there's a '13' stamped into the BB shell of mine. The only other identifiable markings on my frame are the Tange forged drop-outs and a sticker for (if I remember correctly) Clark's Easy Glide Teflon Coated Inner Nylon Lined Outer gear cables...

I wonder if the markings on mine could be traced to another manufacturer, while Ian maybe made biggs682's himself? Or wasn't there talk that the aero ones could be Simoncini?

Last edited:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Nothing at all on the bottom of the BB, biggs682? Aside from the main number, I think (from memory since I'm away from the bike at the moment) there's a '13' stamped into the BB shell of mine. The only other identifiable markings on my frame are the Tange forged drop-outs and a sticker for (if I remember correctly) Clark's Easy Glide Teflon Coated Inner Nylon Lined Outer gear cables...

I wonder if the markings on mine could be traced to another manufacturer, while Ian maybe made biggs682's himself? Or wasn't there talk that the aero ones could be Simoncini?

i contacted Simoncini owner who spoke to the frame maker from that period who said very similar profile to what they use but no real identifying marks to say yes for sure

Top Bottom