Ibuprofen tablets, not so good!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

albion

Guru
Ibuprofen etc is generally for inflammation - works great short term (helped my knees for a few days after a stupidly long ride). One thing my GP recommended (after back injury), is take a smaller dose of paracetamol, but more regular, so instead of 2 tablets every 4 hours, (max 8 a day) take one every two to give a more stable pain killing effect.

Glad you are getting it 'fixed' but the NHS is in a bit of a mess currently.

Apart from when it causes inflammation through an allergic reaction. It can be life threatening as happened with someone close.
If using for the first time I wonder if half or quarter tablet is safest.

Regular use of course can be more dangerous too.

SuffolkBlue

One thing my GP recommended (after back injury), is take a smaller dose of paracetamol, but more regular, so instead of 2 tablets every 4 hours, (max 8 a day) take one every two to give a more stable pain killing effect.

Yes, I was told the same regarding Paracetamol - works better as a regular dose. On my first stay as a patient in hospital recently, (I'm 58 and feel lucky to have had good health), once I was over the worst and didn't need morphine all I had was Paracetamol and it worked very well.

Glad you are getting it 'fixed' but the NHS is in a bit of a mess currently.
At the risk of drifting into NACA territory but posted in good faith - I worked in the NHS (radiology) from 1983 to 2001 (when I changed career). During my time there were 4 Orthopaedic Surgeons at my local general hospital. I am told by my former colleagues there are now 28 and they are all full to capacity.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Two months ago I managed to rip the rotary cuff half off the shoulder bone. Couldn’t get a doctors appointment to get strong pain killers so resorted to Ibuprofen, like you do🤷‍♂️
I’ve been struggling getting up the steep hills, my legs seemed ok, but I could not get enough oxygen in and the heart rate was right up to 168bpm.
A couple off weeks ago I went to donate some blood and they refused my offering due to low iron in my blood. It turns out that Ibuprofen zaps the iron cells that are required to carry the oxygen around your body.
A nurse phoned me the other day and it came up in her questions, what pain killers I’m taking? I was told to bin the Ibuprofen and only use paracetamol.
I’ve never realised that taking a simple pain killer can have such adverse effects on the body. The heart rate is now back to a comfortable 157 on the same hills😎

I recently started taking ibuprofen to help ease knee pain. I don't have much energy anyway due to chronic anaemia. I will stop the ibuprofen until I have spoken with the doctor

OP
OP
CAESAR AVGVSTVS

CAESAR AVGVSTVS

I recently started taking ibuprofen to help ease knee pain. I don't have much energy anyway due to chronic anaemia. I will stop the ibuprofen until I have spoken with the doctor

Better to be safe mate, my blood donation was refused due to taking Ibuprofen !
I had knee pain when riding my Mtb bike. I changed my clipless pedals and not had a problem since 😀

froze

Über Member
Long-term use of NSAIDs is bad for the kidneys, the docs are supposed to be doing blood checks to keep an eye on your kidney function numbers, the problem is once the numbers get to the point where the doctor says you need to stop, that also means you cannot ever use NSAIDs again unless it's a one-time use event that had years between uses.

When I had lower back fusion done, I stopped taking the strong stuff about 3 or 4 days after the surgery, though my doctor thought I was nuts, so I got off the powerful stuff and went to ibuprofen for about a month then stopped that as well, but did take it when it flared up too much and I couldn't sleep, but only one dose. I've taken Ibuprofen over the years prior to the back surgery due to other injuries, but always kept it limited, my numbers are slightly elevated from what normal would be, but the doc said there was nothing to worry about and that they were well within the safe region.

My wife on the other hand has high numbers, and they told her she can't take any NSAID type of product for the rest of her life, but for pain that's all they have! She has taken it despite the warnings because they won't give her anything else, so she gets to a point where she gets tired of her pain and takes it. Opioids have been virtually banned due to addiction problems, and the rest of the OTC stuff is useless. There needs to be a new painkiller and swelling reduction medicine that won't damage the kidneys or some other organ.

Fredo76

Über Member
My kidney doctor has forbidden me to take ibuprofen and naproxen. Acetaminophen is ok, but I find that if I take it regularly it loses its effectiveness, so I just don't, and save it and the Tramadol for when things get bad. If things got really bad, like a toothache during Christmas break, I don't know if I could get something strong enough like oxycodone for it, the way things are these days. I might just have to score some black-market fentanyl in the Walmart parking lot. Welcome to the future.

Gobbling ibuprofen after abdominal cancer surgery gave my wife a bleeding ulcer that nearly killed her, again. It was fixed on the third try during another abdominal surgery. She's really gone through a lot.

Don't take ibuprofen regularly as if it's harmless. It is not.

OP
OP
CAESAR AVGVSTVS

CAESAR AVGVSTVS

Long-term use of NSAIDs is bad for the kidneys, the docs are supposed to be doing blood checks to keep an eye on your kidney function numbers, the problem is once the numbers get to the point where the doctor says you need to stop, that also means you cannot ever use NSAIDs again unless it's a one-time use event that had years between uses.

When I had lower back fusion done, I stopped taking the strong stuff about 3 or 4 days after the surgery, though my doctor thought I was nuts, so I got off the powerful stuff and went to ibuprofen for about a month then stopped that as well, but did take it when it flared up too much and I couldn't sleep, but only one dose. I've taken Ibuprofen over the years prior to the back surgery due to other injuries, but always kept it limited, my numbers are slightly elevated from what normal would be, but the doc said there was nothing to worry about and that they were well within the safe region.

My wife on the other hand has high numbers, and they told her she can't take any NSAID type of product for the rest of her life, but for pain that's all they have! She has taken it despite the warnings because they won't give her anything else, so she gets to a point where she gets tired of her pain and takes it. Opioids have been virtually banned due to addiction problems, and the rest of the OTC stuff is useless. There needs to be a new painkiller and swelling reduction medicine that won't damage the kidneys or some other organ.

That back of yours must have half killed you in terms of pain. I’ve seen those operations and they look like they could really give out some pain!
To be honest, im not so sure the ibuprofen makes much of a difference.
Maybe that’s why people turn to cannabis for pain relief 👍

vickster

Legendary Member
Better to be safe mate, my blood donation was refused due to taking Ibuprofen !
I had knee pain when riding my Mtb bike. I changed my clipless pedals and not had a problem since 😀

Did they check your low iron isn’t due to a gastric bleed from long term NSAID use without a PPI alongside?

OP
OP
CAESAR AVGVSTVS

CAESAR AVGVSTVS

Did they check your low iron isn’t due to a gastric bleed from long term NSAID use without a PPI alongside?

I simply turned up at our local blood donor hub, they pricked the finger and put a drop in a glass tube and it would not sink as it should. They then retested on another machine and I was around 8 numbers two low. They simply said it was no good due to the iron being to low. I eat very well and my food has plenty of iron 🤷‍♂️ she then asked if I was taking ibuprofen, I said yes and that was that really.
My nurse also phoned to ask the same question. She asked me to stop taking them.

Last edited:

tom73

Guru
Ibuprofen on it's own can't effect your iron levels with short term normal use. They can along with other NSAID however lead to bleeding which in turn can lead to lower iron levels. Which is why long term use needs to be monitored together with PPI.

OTC meds are meant for short term use and if they don't work then get medical advice.
In general any drug can have side effects and should only ever be used as directed. Prescribing is complex and legally limited to qualified HCP's for good reasons. Even then only within individual HCP's scope of practice.

OP
OP
CAESAR AVGVSTVS

CAESAR AVGVSTVS

Ibuprofen on it's own can't effect your iron levels with short term normal use. They can along with other NSAID however lead to bleeding which in turn can lead to lower iron levels. Which is why long term use needs to be monitored together with PPI.

OTC meds are meant for short term use and if they don't work then get medical advice.
In general any drug can have side effects and should only ever be used as directed. Prescribing is complex and legally limited to qualified HCP's for good reasons. Even then only within individual HCP's scope of practice.

I had been on them for around six weeks plus I was working out a lot.
Maybe it could be the damage I’ve done to my shoulder as well 🤷‍♂️
Still, roll on Wednesday and my surgeon can sort it all out.
Would have been so much better if I could have got a simple doctors appointment in the beginning. I’ve had to do all this myself, when all I needed was a doctor to help out and advise me.

OP
OP
CAESAR AVGVSTVS

CAESAR AVGVSTVS

I had been on them for around six weeks plus I was working out a lot.
Maybe it could be the damage I’ve done to my shoulder as well 🤷‍♂️
Still, roll on Wednesday and my surgeon can sort it all out.
Would have been so much better if I could have got a simple doctors appointment in the beginning. I’ve had to do all this myself, when all I needed was a doctor to help out and advise me.
This is the report I got from the scan, most I don’t understand lol

Findings: Severe degenerative change in the acromioclavicular joint which is narrowing the subacromial space. There looks to be an almost full thickness tear of the anterior footprint of the supraspinatus tendon with mild tendon retraction and overlying tendinopathy. There is also probable high-grade partial-thickness tear of infraspinatus, with oedema within the tendon and muscle. There is no significant muscle wasting. There is fluid in the subacromial bursa and in the shoulder joint as well as the subcoracoid bursa.

The subscapularis is probably intact. The biceps looks intact. Possible tear of the superior labrum also.
🤷‍♂️🤣

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
This is the report I got from the scan, most I don’t understand lol

Findings: Severe degenerative change in the acromioclavicular joint which is narrowing the subacromial space. There looks to be an almost full thickness tear of the anterior footprint of the supraspinatus tendon with mild tendon retraction and overlying tendinopathy. There is also probable high-grade partial-thickness tear of infraspinatus, with oedema within the tendon and muscle. There is no significant muscle wasting. There is fluid in the subacromial bursa and in the shoulder joint as well as the subcoracoid bursa.

The subscapularis is probably intact. The biceps looks intact. Possible tear of the superior labrum also.
🤷‍♂️🤣

A few of us have similar or the same operations...

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/also-off-my-bike-for-a-while-i-think-now-definitely.176680/

OP
OP
CAESAR AVGVSTVS

CAESAR AVGVSTVS

Yours seems very similar to mine. I was lucky as the guy that did the report, phoned me first to explain in laymen’s terms. I asked him if he knew someone and he put me onto a sister company of BUPA. From the MRI to the surgical procedure is only 16 days. Ok I have to pay, but the quicker the better as I’m not earning being self employed.

Top Bottom