Ice, does it stop you?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

threefingerjoe

Über Member
I've been using the same pair of carbide-studded tyres for, I think, 9 years, now, and I'll tell you everything that I can about them, from my experience.
Yes, it is fine to ride them on dry tarmac, IF you have good ones, like Schwalbe or Nokian, which use CARBIDE studs. I'm told that some cheaper ones use a mild steel stud that wears quickly, but I've never seen any.
Slower? About the same as any knobbly.
I used to have only one bike, so I had these tyres mounted on an old pair of wheels so I could change them quickly if I came out in the morning and found that it had gotten icy overnight. Now, I have a "crappy weather bike" and once I put the studded tyres on, I usually leave them on for the rest of the winter, and only ride that bike when I think I need it.
Studded tyres work GREAT! Of course, you still have to ride sensibly, but when the alternatives are driving a car or falling....well, I'll take the studded tyres. I hate to drive a car, and wish I didn't need to own one!
There are different kinds of studded tyres. Some have only a couple rows of studs, as mine do, and are mainly intended for black ice, and areas with ploughed roads, but work great on thick, glaze ice, as well. Others, have 4 rows of studs, and are intended to climb out of deep ruts in snow. I've never used those kind, as our roads are maintained rather well.
DON'T try to get by with one studded tyre. You will have problems, regardless of which end of the bike it's on, and will be buying another one, SOON!
If you commute daily by cycle, and have any kind of ice in your area, studded tyres are definitely worth the money. (Also, it's actually kind of fun to be able to climb an icy hill with no slippage at all!)

Yes. About a mile from home today, I got off & walked. It had snowed, thawed a bit & was then freezing again. Not for me at all.

andyfraser

Über Member
The roads were starting to freeze on my way home but they still weren't too bad. I got in and got changed and headed for the local shops. The cycle path was getting very icy on my way back.

Hip Priest

Veteran
I've been using the same pair of carbide-studded tyres for, I think, 9 years, now, and I'll tell you everything that I can about them, from my experience.
Yes, it is fine to ride them on dry tarmac, IF you have good ones, like Schwalbe or Nokian, which use CARBIDE studs. I'm told that some cheaper ones use a mild steel stud that wears quickly, but I've never seen any.
Slower? About the same as any knobbly.
I used to have only one bike, so I had these tyres mounted on an old pair of wheels so I could change them quickly if I came out in the morning and found that it had gotten icy overnight. Now, I have a "crappy weather bike" and once I put the studded tyres on, I usually leave them on for the rest of the winter, and only ride that bike when I think I need it.
Studded tyres work GREAT! Of course, you still have to ride sensibly, but when the alternatives are driving a car or falling....well, I'll take the studded tyres. I hate to drive a car, and wish I didn't need to own one!
There are different kinds of studded tyres. Some have only a couple rows of studs, as mine do, and are mainly intended for black ice, and areas with ploughed roads, but work great on thick, glaze ice, as well. Others, have 4 rows of studs, and are intended to climb out of deep ruts in snow. I've never used those kind, as our roads are maintained rather well.
DON'T try to get by with one studded tyre. You will have problems, regardless of which end of the bike it's on, and will be buying another one, SOON!
If you commute daily by cycle, and have any kind of ice in your area, studded tyres are definitely worth the money. (Also, it's actually kind of fun to be able to climb an icy hill with no slippage at all!)

My studded tyres saved me £8 this week, because there were at least 2 days where I would previously have taken the train due to ice. In fact, they probably saved me a whole lot more because I tend to go to the pub after work when I've not got the bike!

die_aufopferung

I'm absolutely loving my studded tyres - yes, a bit more effort than nice slicks on dry tarmac, but threading your way past all those slipping/sliding cars/vans as they fail to make progress uphill is hilarious (hard not to be smug). Before I had them, I'd often have to get off and walk (carefully). Probably the best ~£40 I ever spent on any piece of bike kit.

threefingerjoe

Über Member
I'm absolutely loving my studded tyres - yes, a bit more effort than nice slicks on dry tarmac, but threading your way past all those slipping/sliding cars/vans as they fail to make progress uphill is hilarious (hard not to be smug). Before I had them, I'd often have to get off and walk (carefully). Probably the best ~£40 I ever spent on any piece of bike kit.
What kind of tyres do you have? Mine are the Nokian Hekkapalita (sp?) 106. This is the 8th or 9th winter I've used them, and they still look great!

die_aufopferung

What kind of tyres do you have? Mine are the Nokian Hekkapalita (sp?) 106. This is the 8th or 9th winter I've used them, and they still look great!

I'm using Schwalbe winters - no need for serious snow tyres for me as I cycle purely on the roads so it's ice - either of the black variety or the dense lumpy crap formed the freezing of snow that's been crushed/compacted by cars - that I need to worry about.

Top Bottom