Ice, does it stop you?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sara_H

Guru
I use lots of of off road cycle paths on my routes to work/shops etc, which are still covered in thick ice in some parts, so have not ridden since it snowed on Wednesday.

Shame, as I picked up my newly repaired Brompton on Friday, which I've had fitted with a 44t chainring so I'm dying to take it up a hill to judge the difference.

There are certain things in life that the risk-reward factor is obvious. Ice is one. Not worth it. Just have to be patient, keep the bikes indoors for the few days that are impacted. Rather keep myself intact for the good days.

kipster

Guru
I missed the club ride yesterday, reports are that 12 went over on black ice, 1 needed an ambulance. Glad I stayed indoors, learnt my lesson a couple of years back when I hit some ice on a commute, it hurt.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
i am reading this with interest. My fourth year commuting and my second fall in that time. Black ice and no warning, one second I was upright, next I was on the floor. Road rash and elbow not far off the, damage I suffered when hit by a car last year. I don't have a spare bike so i have to modify the one I have. I commute 18 miles each way and about 7/8 miles are on back roads/ cyle lanes. Am I better off just getting full tread tyres or spiked? Or stick with the car?
I can only say my experience of spiked tyres and ice is very good, I've ridden across solid ice of the frozen puddle sort and lumpy stuff, without major problems (taking more care than normal but not excessive care).

Sara_H

Guru
I can only say my experience of spiked tyres and ice is very good, I've ridden across solid ice of the frozen puddle sort and lumpy stuff, without major problems (taking more care than normal but not excessive care).

Same here, I avoid going out on the bike if its obviously icy, but have studded tyres in case I hit a patch of ice unawares.
Often don't realise until you're halfway across a patch but they do work well. Gives a little bit of peace of mind, though I ride carefully as well, of course!

Last edited:

andyfraser

Über Member
Same here, I avoid going out on the bike if its obviously icy, but have studded tyres in case I hit a patch of ice unawares.
Often don't realise until you're halfway across a patch but they do work well. Gives a little bit of peace of mind, though I ride carefully as well, of course!
I fitted studded tyres purely for piece of mind. As I've said elsewhere the roads here don't get too bad but on two days last week it was quite scary on some roads.

I was riding across a mixed use foot/cycle bridge on Thursday evening and could hear the ice cracking under my wheels. Needless to say I was incredibly careful and slow getting across. I would've loved to have had spiked tyres then. They were on order at the time.

sheffgirl

@Sara_H it looks more promising for next week, it is warming up to 6/7 degrees, I am hoping to finally get back on my bike and ride to work for the first time this year (and only the 2nd time on my new bike :sad: )
Monday and Tuesday look OK so far :smile:

sheffgirl

Silly question, but is it OK to run ice tyres on normal ice free tarmac? I considered some as a precaution (probably an investment for next winter though now). I only have one bike and wouldn't have the time to keep swapping tyres. Could I leave them on all winter long?

Silly question, but is it OK to run ice tyres on normal ice free tarmac? I considered some as a precaution (probably an investment for next winter though now). I only have one bike and wouldn't have the time to keep swapping tyres. Could I leave them on all winter long?
Never used them myself but I believe they are ok for a ride or two but you'll eventually wear them out prematurely and their rolling resistance is substantial.. Users like @Supersuperleeds will give you a more educated opinion though.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Yes you can ride on Tarmac as I mostly do with them, it's just slower going and feels harder work.
image.jpg
I happily cycled across that without too much worry!

sheffgirl

Thanks for the replies. I have a MTB with knobbly tyres so I imagine the difference wouldn't be as noticeable compared with a road bike in terms of rolling resistance.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member

They are absolutely fine on ice free tarmac and you should have no problems leaving them on all winter. I've done over 500 miles on mine this month and at a guess I would say at half of those miles have been on ice free tarmac, if not more.

They are very hard work though, so you may want to consider getting a second pair of wheels for the bike so you can quickly switch to normal tyres if you wish.

Sara_H

Guru
I leave mine on from November til end of feb. Doesn't cause any problems, makes a noise a bit like rice crispies, certainly gets the attention of peds on shared use!

andyfraser

Über Member
Mine actually have 2 sets of max and min pressure stamped on the tyre wall: one set for clear roads and one set for icy roads.

iwantanewbike

Über Member
Another tip if you're a weekend warrior is to add yourself to the local cycling club's Facebook page. As they tend to meet up for 10:00am rides, you'll hear accounts of black ice troubles and rides being called off in advance of you getting out of your warm bed.

Top Bottom