Ice, does it stop you?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clf

The only worry I have as a new commuter is ice, at what point do you reach for the car keys? I don't have studded tyres, a possible investment if it looks like a prolonged period of ice and snow is forecast, I can't justify a pair right now. Currently running on spesh espoir sport 700x30s. Should I be too concerned about Ice and snow of just mtfu?

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I dont worry too much, as 95% of my route is on main roads with bus routes, and these always get priority gritting in London.
If I cycled away from urban areas I would be more cautious.
Even in London I have slipped about a few times, and seen a couple of peiople go over on sheet ice, so you have to be careful.
I tend to ride my hybrid on snowy days, I think I have missed 3 or 4 days in the last few years because of snow or thick ice, but even then the trains arent running and the buses will be jammed up.
I can often get into work when no one else can, even on 28mm slicks.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
In my personal opinion, no.
Ice is nasty. Without studded tyres, you'll go down on ice. You can minimise the risks by keeping to gritted roads etc but if there's a strong possibility of hitting ice then I wouldn't personally chance it.
Snow isn't so bad when it' soft and fresh, I even survived (just) a steep descent off the North Downs in fresh snow on a road bike, on an MTB fresh snow is actually surprisingly grippy. Once it's been compacted by cars, then refer to "ice."

Just my personal opinion, anyway.

I bought some Schwalbe tungsten studded tyres to keep me riding through the nasty stuff. They're not a magic bullet, but they do provide a certain level of grip even on sheet ice so I'm happy to chance it on those. What you do need to allow for is that cars won't have studded tyres so decide what's best for your journeys.

KneesUp

Guru
The weather app on my phone shows predicted daytime temperatures above 3 degrees everyday until the end of December. Are we supposed to be getting 'Snowmegeddon' again?

I have winter tyres on my car because I have to be able to use it sometimes, but my commute is so short that if it's treacherous I'm happy to walk with the bike (one of the other benefits of not having clippy-in pedals), so I'll keep riding where I can, but use judgement. I am also more likely to remember my helmet when it's slippy as the chances of me falling off are higher :smile:

If I had a longer commute I'd get winter tyres for the bike.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I have a set of studded tyres and they go on the spare bike at this time of year. They must be on their 4th season or so, and they don't get lots of use but still looking good. I've ridden across ice that people were slipping on walking across so I'm happy with the extra grip they give me. But they do slow me down so I avoid using that bike unless I feel it is icy.

And if it is really slippery I lower the saddle a little so I can put a foot down much easier without having to tilt the bike.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
No. Never. (It does not stop me)

Last winter, I was out most icy Sunday mornings. By the time I had hot the high ground my water bottle would be freezing.

Just take it easy on the corners.

Last edited:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Not since my riding buddy ended up with a hip replacement after going down on ice.

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
We don't get a lot of proper ice down here, but when it does I get stuck as my cycle commute is all on the back roads who don't know what a street light looks like let alone a gritter (I don't trust my car commute route in good weather, let along bad).
Also if it's that cold I start planning to work from home and need the car to transport all my work stuff around.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Stopped the mate yesterday.

Knackered derailleur and hanger.
10635731_10204538154766142_5171720925782987182_n.jpg

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Studded tyres for me. The main roads all snarl up when the ice hits as we lose one of the main roads into work (it's a little fell road but a direct route from one of the local towns).

The drivers all avoid the little back roads I use though as they don't get gritted, meaning I get them just about to myself. :smile:

The tyres (700x30c Schwalbe Winters) are currently on my hybrid, ready for the temperatures to drop, but it's been too warm to need them so far this year. They do grip on sheet ice, but it's not a good idea to take them for granted. I ride slower, steer more and lean less, and ride sat in the saddle as much as possible to keep the back wheel weighted so it doesn't spin out on hills.

vickster

Legendary Member
No way, I wouldn't want to risk sliding under the wheels of a vehicle or one sliding into me

(and when it's icy it's also cold..life's too short for that sort of malarky :cold: )

Top Bottom