Ice, does it stop you?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
You go down fast and hard if you slip on ice. I have had a few lucky escapes now dont ride if i think ice is likely.
Ditto. Just the one off each of the last two winters. Luckily only a bruised and scraped knee. One minute you are upright, next lying on the road, especially on black ice. Even studded tyres are only going to help your own grip, not that of cars moving around you, so not worth it in my opinion unless it is your only method of transport.

Posted elsewhere but worth re-posting here considering the topic - results of encountering black ice on Sunday:
62341-640d2805db781d7dfdc172be4a8354a4.jpg
62342-e9f6edb9cd65b0e021bc43d7a3a05a4f.jpg
62343-0370c49ec1a363486be46f3ece782b8f.jpg
That? It's just a flesh wound! (GWS)

rowdin

Terence david
I'll echo what mcshroom says above – studded tyres are definitely worth investing in, just remember to respect the ice and adjust your riding style accordingly :thumbsup:

The past 2 years I used 35C Marathon Winters (240 spikes) and have seen myself gain grip where you couldn't even stand. I'd been debating which tyres to get this year but have just ordered up the narrower 700x30c Schwalbe Winters – my dreams of a new winter N+1 have been dashed (the Genesis CdA 20 won't be available until next year) – and at just £16 each from Germany (£37 posted) I'm not bothered if they only last me one winter. I need to still get to work during the winter as we are a one car (+ several bikes) household and there are days I simply don't have the option to lift the car keys.
Have you tried http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/products/genesis-cda-20-15

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Ditto. Just the one off each of the last two winters. Luckily only a bruised and scraped knee. One minute you are upright, next lying on the road, especially on black ice. Even studded tyres are only going to help your own grip, not that of cars moving around you, so not worth it in my opinion unless it is your only method of transport.
Depends, sometimes the bikes can move when everything else is at a standstill. It can be very frustrating stuck on a bus going nowhere watching those on bikes who can. But it's a case of ride at a slow speed being very aware of what is going on around you.

dodgy

Most of my commute is on completely segregated cycle paths, yay! Except the harsh reality is that they don't get much if any maintenance, you can forget gritting, let alone sweeping.

No way would I ride if ice is expected.

KneesUp

Guru
You go down fast and hard if you slip on ice. I have had a few lucky escapes now dont ride if i think ice is likely.
But if you're 17 and on the way back from the pub on your brother's mountain bike you just sort of bounce off the road and laugh, get back on and hope your brother doesn't notice the scratches on the forks. Probably.

[disclaimer - Your brother might be more attentive and aggressive than mine. Don't drink and ride. If you're going to fall off a mountain bike on ice, do it on a empty estate road in the middle of the night]

D

Deleted member 1258

If the trip is essential I'll ride if its icy, if its a trip I don't have to make I'll make the decision according to the conditions at the time, its the way I've been doing it for over thirty years, some of my best Sunday rides have been on icy mornings.

jongooligan

Legendary Member
Nope.
Yes
1. My commuter bike doesn't have enough clearance for spiked tyres.
2. The estate I live on hardly ever gets gritted.
3.The section of the C2C on my commute gets very icy and is never gritted.
4. I've had a few offs on ice and don't want any more.
Offs on ice are very sudden. You're upright and OK but a millisecond later you're on the deck with a broken collar bone. There's no time to get a foot or hand down to break your fall.
Maybe I should N+1, stick spikes on it and MTFU.

Last edited:

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
But if you're 17 and on the way back from the pub on your brother's mountain bike you just sort of bounce off the road and laugh, get back on and hope your brother doesn't notice the scratches on the forks. Probably.

[disclaimer - Your brother might be more attentive and aggressive than mine. Don't drink and ride. If you're going to fall off a mountain bike on ice, do it on a empty estate road in the middle of the night]

I fell off my Yamaha dt125 back in the day on ice, wasn't going very fast, one second pootling along, next, looking up at the night sky thinking what the f##k just happened.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
I ride for fitness and enjoyment. Riding on ice defeats both objectives (on the whole).

Too slippery to work up any sweat, to cold to enjoy the view, plus all the salt and grit makes a mess of the bike.

I mostly take the motorbike in ice and stick to the main gritted roads.

Ironic post lol!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Studded tyres on my MTB. I tend to take on off road route as well as riding studded tyres any distance on tarmac is soul destroying (we have one nutter who likes to do over 40 miles on them each morning).

My new commute route takes a couple of back lanes but also 3.5 miles on a cycle way which isn't gritted.

Had my studded tyres since Jan 2010 and they aren't even slightly worn yet.

Top Bottom