Ice, does it stop you?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fubar

Guru
Posted elsewhere but worth re-posting here considering the topic - results of encountering black ice on Sunday:
62341-640d2805db781d7dfdc172be4a8354a4.jpg
62342-e9f6edb9cd65b0e021bc43d7a3a05a4f.jpg
62343-0370c49ec1a363486be46f3ece782b8f.jpg

mrmacmusic

Veteran
I'll echo what mcshroom says above – studded tyres are definitely worth investing in, just remember to respect the ice and adjust your riding style accordingly :thumbsup:

The past 2 years I used 35C Marathon Winters (240 spikes) and have seen myself gain grip where you couldn't even stand. I'd been debating which tyres to get this year but have just ordered up the narrower 700x30c Schwalbe Winters – my dreams of a new winter N+1 have been dashed (the Genesis CdA 20 won't be available until next year) – and at just £16 each from Germany (£37 posted) I'm not bothered if they only last me one winter. I need to still get to work during the winter as we are a one car (+ several bikes) household and there are days I simply don't have the option to lift the car keys.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Nope. It stops me riding the lanes in the early morning but it doesn't stop me riding. For riding to work I know where the ice tends to form (only a few spots on my usual winter route). Also have studded tyres which I can put on the 'cross bike but in practice I only use them for those rare 'compacted snow' days.

OP
OP
C

clf

I'll echo what mcshroom says above – studded tyres are definitely worth investing in, just remember to respect the ice and adjust your riding style accordingly :thumbsup:

The past 2 years I used 35C Marathon Winters (240 spikes) and have seen myself gain grip where you couldn't even stand. I'd been debating which tyres to get this year but have just ordered up the narrower 700x30c Schwalbe Winters – my dreams of a new winter N+1 have been dashed (the Genesis CdA 20 won't be available until next year) – and at just £16 each from Germany (£37 posted) I'm not bothered if they only last me one winter. I need to still get to work during the winter as we are a one car (+ several bikes) household and there are days I simply don't have the option to lift the car keys.
Have you got a link for the Germany tyres by any chance? At that sort of money I'd be daft not to.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I will be doing my best to avoid ice, having crashed 3 times on one icy ride a few years ago.

Many of the roads that I ride are narrow lanes about 1,000 - 1,400 ft above sea level so they can get very dodgy in the winter.

Example ...

This is what one part of my favourite loop looks like on a nice day:

sheep_sunny_winter_feed.jpg

non_slippery_lanes.jpg

And this what it looks like when conditions have turned a bit iffy:

sheep_winter_feed.jpg

slippery_lanes.jpg

I have some steep descending to do to get home from there so I stay away from those roads if conditions get worse than that! :thumbsup:

When I get my CX bike, I will invest in a pair of studded tyres for it, but that will have to wait for funds to be available in the New Year.

BigAl68

Über Member
No I just tend to ride slower and become very aware of any manhole covers, those raised things that they put at crossings and the two sets of railway lines I cross. I have had one off in the past 5 years and just ride my road bike on my all round gp4000s tyres. If there is snow then I will tend to trundle on the bike and take the train.

mrmacmusic

Veteran
Have you got a link for the Germany tyres by any chance? At that sort of money I'd be daft not to.

http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/winter-118-spikes-28-x-1,20-wire-67805/wg_id-1956
Probably this. If I had to commute I would certainly consider them.

What mo said :thumbsup: – and yes, IMVHO you'd be daft not to at that price if you need to commute through the winter and your route is likely to encounter icy patches.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Not generally, although last night i was glad for the car on unlit country lanes with freezing fog would have given me the heebie jeebies as i have been in fear of other road users not seeing me .

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I ride for fitness and enjoyment. Riding on ice defeats both objectives (on the whole).

Too slippery to work up any sweat, to cold to enjoy the view, plus all the salt and grit makes a mess of the bike.

I mostly take the motorbike in ice and stick to the main gritted roads.

Top Bottom