Ice, does it stop you?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Twinks

Über Member
[QUOTE="slowmotion, post: 3418203, member: 8064. On ice, you are down before you can think.[/QUOTE]

That is so true. I am not an experienced cyclist but have taken many falls from a horse. There's always those few seconds when you realise what's happening and you just know it's gonna hurt but when the bike went on ice I hit the deck before I had a clue it had slipped. No skidding or struggling to keep upright, just thwack.......what the hell happened? Not sure how anybody's bike handling skills could sort that out, experienced or not?

Bike Boomer

Regular
I had my first fall on some ice a few hours ago. It happened so fast. The bike just went out from under me and I landed on my right side. No serious pain but I guess tomorrow might reveal another story. :laugh:

I've put the bike in the car for tomorrow's drive/cycle commute but if the car thermometer says lower than -1deg C I may just stay in the car on the A1, rather than cycling the back road. My previous commute limit was -6deg C but that was in a well gritted city or perhaps I'm getting soft :-/

Sara_H

Guru
It's stopped me. I have actually got studded marathon winters, but still to scared to ride on the ice.
Have been catching lots of buses for the last few weeks. I hate buses.

D

Deleted member 22722

I've also got studded marathon winters (700c x 30) on a spare set of wheels. I stick these on my cross bike (commuter) whenever it's below zero degrees and especially when it's been wet prior to a cold spell. It only takes 2 minutes to swap the wheels over in the morning.

I've also used this combo on my weekend rides a couple of times recently and although I'll not break any speed records and it is slightly harder work I've had zero issues. They definitely inspire confidence.

Really recommend them at this time of the year.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I've also got studded marathon winters (700c x 30) on a spare set of wheels. I stick these on my cross bike (commuter) whenever it's below zero degrees and especially when it's been wet prior to a cold spell. It only takes 2 minutes to swap the wheels over in the morning.

I've also used this combo on my weekend rides a couple of times recently and although I'll not break any speed records and it is slightly harder work I've had zero issues. They definitely inspire confidence.

Really recommend them at this time of the year.
I will not get my new CX bike in time for this winter but that is what I plan to do for the future. Main wheels with normal CX tyres, secondary wheels with studded tyres for winter or slicks for the rest of the year.

DWiggy

Über Member
...I've only got the one bike, a roadie with 700c/23 that I use all year round, so far i've been ok...so far! Although down in the south east it never seems to get that bad

runner

Guru
ice ....one minute on the bike then wap!! you hit the ground and as an earlier post said....what happened, yep it's that quick. I will ride in nearly all conditions apart from if it rains in the evening and then goes below freezing that causes a skating ring and is best avoided :sad:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I not sure i will be riding tonight , doesnt look good for the 5 am return ....
Clipboard01.jpg

dodgy

Many, if not all councils de-prioritise cyclepaths and footways, well below cars. Some of them go as far as to proudly say so on their web sites.

For instance, my local authority http://www.cheshirewestandchester.g..._roads/roads_and_road_wo/winter_gritting.aspx

Cycleways and footpaths
Cycleways are salted where they form part of the 950 kilometres of salted roads. Footpaths alongside carriageways and other cycleways are not treated except where frosty or icy conditions last for several days. Footpaths and cycleways may then be treated when we have the capacity to do it.
I have never once seen grit on the 22 mile route (18 miles of which is completely car free as it's a purpose built cycle path) I use to cycle commute on. It's the reason that I have to use the car when it's icy. It shouldn't be like this, but, you know.

BigAl68

Über Member
They never grit the Bristol to Bath path and it's the busiest traffic free route in the UK. It was fun today at 5am and -5. No slips though and that's on my roadie with 23mm slicks

Top Bottom