Ice, does it stop you?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Never stopped me.

I normally use a fixed gear for commuting, but for the winter I have my MTB ready to go just in case it's icy in the morning.

I have winter marathon studded tyres on at the moment.

However if it gets really bad with lots of snow then I have some folding ice spiker pro tyres to go on. I paid the extra for the folders just to help reduce the overall weight.

The best thing about commuting in the snow is when you get to work on your bike and find that a number of staff only live a few miles away and have phone in saying they cannot get in work.

I think work have clued onto this now and say depending on managers discretion on judging how severe the weather is you have to take a unpaid leave.

Also people think you are hard as nails and a complete nutter to cycle in, in bad weather.

The best thing about commuting in the snow is when you get to work on your bike and find that a number of staff only live a few miles away and have phone in saying they cannot get in work.

I think work have clued onto this now and say depending on managers discretion on judging how severe the weather is you have to take a unpaid leave.

Also people think you are hard as nails and a complete nutter to cycle in, in bad weather.

We had a guy worked with us, who when he still lived at his parents house, used to say he couldn't get there (car wouldn't go up hill)
However............... he lived less than half-a-mile from the Hospital!!

I get the 'Nutter' looks quite regularly, be it on bike, or running - even more so when shift-time (ie; daylight availability) allows me to run there 'XC', & arrive filthy:laugh:

mustang1

Legendary Member
I've had studded tires Schwalbe Something for a year but never used them. I think I'll install those soon. The winter makes me more determined to ride. I hear I have to break the tires in with a 20km ride before using them in very icey conditions.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I've had studded tires Schwalbe Something for a year but never used them. I think I'll install those soon. The winter makes me more determined to ride. I hear I have to break the tires in with a 20km ride before using them in very icey conditions.

You need to do a 40km ride in dry conditions to bed them in. Definitely needed mine today

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I have a tradition each year of never putting them on until after the first time I needed them:whistle:. So far I've managed without them this year and I've a hilly ride planned when I want to use the spare bike and don't want to be slowed by spiked tyres so it is going to be after that before I put them on.

I've had them for about 4 years now.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
How about one of these?
20080196959_01.png

Edit. Oops. Wrong picture.

Last edited:
I wonder how dangerous ice is for cycling vs walking. I came off at about 21kph on the weekend, bruised all over but no real injuries. A few years ago I slipped walking on a patch of ice in an otherwise snowy surface, and put my hand behind me to break my fall - and my wrist. God that hurt, specially as I was travelling without insurance and you can't get OTC codeine in Switzerland.

Apples and oranges I know, but it's something to consider.

sheffgirl

I rode once in the snow early last year, just for the hell of it. I could have walked the 3 miles to work instead :smile: The fresh stuff was surprisingly good for riding on. It was only once I got onto the roads people had driven on and a steep slushy downhill that I skidded, but managed to get my feet down. Decided to push the bike down the rest of the hill to the main road, which I knew would be clear.
When I lived up there I on a few occasions put on my ice grips to push the bike to the main road.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I wonder how dangerous ice is for cycling vs walking. I came off at about 21kph on the weekend, bruised all over but no real injuries.

I came off at 32mph several winters ago. the pain, the shock, the damage to the bike and clothing didn't feature until later. my immediate thought was to roll over to kerb in case of a following car and thankfully, the road was traffic free for about 100 metres. could have been in heaven if a car was immediately behind.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I still ride to work in the snow, but it's only just over a mile. If it's really snowy I'll walk, but otherwise I'll use the Brommie. It's the easiest bike for unanticipated dismounts.

I've got a 20" studded tyre waiting patiently on a hook at work for the front of the Bakfiets if the weather turns proper cold. Oh yeah. And a dedicated Ice Bike in the making too. Last years Ice Special didn't get a look in so I started on something a bit different in the hope that it'll see some action ...

DSC_0072.JPG

700c studder on the front - Dyno Flame 26 x 2.125 on the back. Only one of these is a proper cold weather tyre.

Last edited:

Bodhbh

Guru
[QUOTE 3418050, member: 259"]Far more dangerous.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I would much rather fall over at 3mph on the pavement, than at 15 or 20mph in traffic on the road.

"May the road rise to meet you" - That's what I'm afraid of this time of year!

Top Bottom