Ice, ice, baby

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
One of my group had a fall on black ice this morning.

Unfortunate, but a useful reminder that a couple of days of no frost and temperatures of two or more degrees is not enough to thaw already formed black ice.

It's been raining today, and I think the mixture of water over ice has made conditions even more treacherous.

Being in the generally colder north east may not help, and also the fact that asphalt cycle tracks are never gritted from one year to the next.

The roads look OK. which can lull you into a false sense of security before you swing on to the track.

Happily for me, my studded tyres did their job, but without those I would have been over as well.

woodbutcher

Veteran
One of my group had a fall on black ice this morning.

Unfortunate, but a useful reminder that a couple of days of no frost and temperatures of two or more degrees is not enough to thaw already formed black ice.

It's been raining today, and I think the mixture of water over ice has made conditions even more treacherous.

Being in the generally colder north east may not help, and also the fact that asphalt cycle tracks are never gritted from one year to the next.

The roads look OK. which can lull you into a false sense of security before you swing on to the track.

Happily for me, my studded tyres did their job, but without those I would have been over as well.
No serious harm done hope !

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Was noticably slippy this morning on the way to work at 0530hrs with a fair bit of ice around, one of those occasions where I stay on the roads as they have been treated.
Rianing now with 8 degrees forecast, so hopefully OK on the way home, but studded tyres are on my list for next year as I've lost too many days commuting without.

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The Fridays London Christmas night ride was cut short last night, after three of our number slithered off on a patch of black ice on the treacherous smooth blue tarmac of the 'cycle superhighway', when at that point (1.30 am) the roads were OK. It was bitter cold though, and would only have got worse I think.

Sorry to hear that.

Those conditions would probably have fooled me, because like @mmmmartin in the ride thread, I would have had London down as a few degrees warmer.

Also if the Superhighway was next to a road, I would have predicted some grit spill over, giving me more reassurance.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Trust nobody and nothing is my general rule, and I still managed to slide off on some unexpected urban frost last winter. The days are getting longer now so it won't be long until people are complaining it's too hot!

mmmmartin

Random geezer
like @mmmmartin in the ride thread, I would have had London down as a few degrees warmer.
Yes indeed. This is the time of year when seasoned Fridays recall the infamous Southend ride when it was 7 degrees at Hyde Park Corner and the forecast for the outer suburbs was 4 degrees but when we arrived at the halfway stop it was minus 7, the water bottles froze and there was sheet ice across the roads as we left. It was cold, baby, cold. I had seven layers on. It was an off-the-wall experience, a magical trip into a different world. I was hooked.

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Yes indeed. This is the time of year when seasoned Fridays recall the infamous Southend ride when it was 7 degrees at Hyde Park Corner and the forecast for the outer suburbs was 4 degrees but when we arrived at the halfway stop it was minus 7, the water bottles froze and there was sheet ice across the roads as we left. It was cold, baby, cold. I had seven layers on. It was an off-the-wall experience, a magical trip into a different world. I was hooked.

Good stuff.

There is certainly much pride to be had in overcoming adverse conditions.

Fitting studded tyres is hardly rocket science, but I am quietly chuffed with myself for having the knowledge/forethought to do it and for remaining upright today.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
After several days not risking a ride due to ice, today's forecast suggested it might be OK.
However, there was a hard white frost when I got up and walking the dog was 'interesting', so I decided to wait a bit. A couple of hours later I walked down to the shop and if anything it was worse in some places.
So, another hour or so of indoor cycling beckons...

vickster

Legendary Member
No ice here today (around 3 deg) but I did get caught in very cold heavy rain...half an hour earlier than forecast by the ever useless BBC :angry:

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
And you have to treat the black 'slime' that builds up on treated roads the same way as ice... I'm still recovering from an 'off' two weeks ago. :sad:

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The other thing I've noticed about current conditions is they promote brake squeal for those of us with discs.

We had a couple of startled looks from pedestrians today.

MiK1138

Veteran
Had an off myself the other day on Black Ice. ungritted cycle path, one of those ones where you know its happening but cant do much about it but relex try to protect the bike

Globalti

Legendary Member
Yes, discs do squeal in cold damp conditions. My Hopes used to do it.

As I've written on the other thread about winter riding I seem to be OK with my amazing Veloflex Open Corsa tyres, they have a soft compound and a file pattern tread and they stick like the proverbial, so on Friday I stayed upright while my cycling buddy went down with a bang and a clatter. They seem to be the cycling equivalent of snow tyres for cars.

Top Bottom