Ice Riding

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

12boy

Guru
Peter White Cycles has a nice primer on studded tires from commuters to some serious ones for gnarly conditions.
We used to have road races round here with people coming in from all over to race in the Casper Classic. Now the races are mountain and gravel. In those hoary days of yore, some of the lads went with homemade studs made from 3/4 inch sheet metal screws and went racing down frozen creeks in sub zero F conditions. Better men than I.

Johnno260

Veteran
I won't risk it on ice, I want too ride but also don't want extended time out the saddle with an injury that could've been avoided.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I put these on yesterday even though it's only a couple of days of ice forecast in the mornings. I have a spare front wheel with one on it, and swap out the back wheel. No way would I now venture out on the Spatzguy's roads without them !

Attachments

• IMG_20200119_201755320.jpg
    IMG_20200119_201755320.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 4

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
3/8" screws work better than 3/4"!

I made my own and rode down a flight of steps covered in sheet ice, hard black ice, you name it. They are incredibly effective, just horribly noisy when you hit tarmac again.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I put these on yesterday even though it's only a couple of days of ice forecast in the mornings. I have a spare front wheel with one on it, and swap out the back wheel. No way would I now venture out on the Spatzguy's roads without them !

Looks like you are missing a few studs.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
If you contact Swalbe they'll send you a load of spares for free, quite easy to install once you get the hang of it.
Yes: slide the spare studs in the fully inflated tyre with the aid of a dollop of washing up liquid and a pair of pliers.
I was given this tip by @potsy, a long, long time ago when he still used to ride bikes :whistle:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I have a pair of Nokian* (unspellable Finnish word) W160 winter tyres. They include the number of studs in the model name, which is nice. Called Suomi** now that they've been spun off from the car tyre company, but I think the tyres are the same.

*"from Nokia"
** "Finland"

Top Bottom