ICE Trikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MCMLXXXIII

Hello all!

I'm interested in getting a Recumbent Trike and was looking at ICE Trikes. Does anyone here own one? Should I be considering any other brands? I'm UK based.

I have a few questions:

Without suspension will it be a rough ride? Is it worth paying extra for?

Are they comfortable from the get go or do they take a while to get used to?

Do they take more power to ride than a DF bike?

Are they really pain free for hundreds of miles?

Should I go for a larger back wheel or the same as the front two?

I'm considering drum brakes due to lower maintenance and weatherproofing, good idea?

Any downsides to a Recumbent in general or a Trike specifically?

Any recommendations on an ICE Trike model? I'm looking at either the Adventure or Sprint but failing to see much of a difference between them.

This would be a huge purchase for me so I don't want to make any mistakes, I gave up cycling on a DF bike a few summers ago due to discomfort. I have a bad back and could never get comfortable - let alone find a saddle that didn't destroy my backside!

Any help appreciated.

classic33

Leg End Member
Paging @Mr Magoo

The instant downside most people think of first, "is will I be seen". 11 years riding one has taught me that if anything you'll be noticed more.

It's not saying much in ways, but when I told the person I was buying mine from, he thought I was nuts. 40 miles for the first real ride, with no problems.

This is a just a general view on recumbents by the way.

Last edited:
There are two types of trike.

Those with the two front wheels forward and a single at the back (Tadpole). The other has a longer wheel base, front single wheel and two wheels at the back ( . They tend to be higher, and for some easier to mount / dismount

The Kettwiesel is typical

Both have differing strengths and weaknesses

KettWiesel.jpg

There are also a number of manufacturers making these

Comparison with the ICE would be HP Velotechnik, Catrike. (Second Hand only as no current UK dealer) and the cheaper Performer and their likes

Yes it makes a difference, but large tyres such as Big Apples can be adequate if budget is an issue, None of mine are suspended

Depends on you, I found it to be the case

Different, they are heavier, and use different muscles. Once you are used to it there is no real practical difference

Not for everyone - Google "Recumbent Butt"!

It will depend on you, and the personal adjustments to your trike

Personal choice, with thee identical you only need to carry one size of tube spare, and practically if set up properly there is no massive difference in riding. Smaller wheels though mean a slightly smaller trike and easier fold / storage

I'm considering drum brakes due to lower maintenance and weatherproofing, good idea?

Personal preference - I use cable discs as easier to maintain and replace parts

Most significant is that they are BIG and need space to store, and securing when out needs some thought

Any recommendations on an ICE Trike model? I'm looking at either the Adventure or Sprint but failing to see much of a difference between them.

Try one - there is a place called D-TEK near Ely, which has a wide range of trikes , or there are ICE dealers. You will be surprised how the small differences in the two machines make in ride and comfort - As you say a big investment so you need to get it right

starhawk

Yes! ICE-suspension is really good it is very well worth paying extra for it, I bought my Trice Q before the suspension was "invented" and I later bought the uppgrade kit so I have experience of both riding without and with suspension.

They are comfortable from the start, but you may wish to tweak the seat a little to get the it exactly as you wish. (this is of course for the web-seat, I have no experience of the other seat)

On the flat there is really no difference, I found it easier to get it up to speed. Uphill is another matter I had to use one gear lower than normal to get up the hills, however you get it back when you go downhill and as wind resistance is gone you don't slow down as fast either.

Oh yes! no problem at all !

I have no experience of the large rear wheel. But as it is larger it should give a smoother ride, but at the price of no rear suspension, and you have to carry two types of tubes in your repair pack

That is a good idea, mine was equipped with drum brakes from the beginning and I am very pleased with them, gets the trike to a stop at litterally a dime if you want to and no maintence to talk about.

Well trikes have a larger radius of turning so you have to learn how to get into a turn, but you wil get that fast, and it is also wider so you will have problem if the "cycle-gate" is set to narrow.

The difference is that the Adventure is easier to sit down on, but if you panic-brake on an Adventure you can be "catapulted" off the trike. Due to it's higher center of gravity the Adventure is less stable than the Sprint. It is likely that the Adventure is more sensetive to wind resistance but I have no experience of that. The Trice and Sprint are not bothered with the wind, wind resistence doesn't exist for them.

This would be a huge purchase for me so I don't want to make any mistakes, I gave up cycling on a DF bike a few summers ago due to discomfort. I have a bad back and could never get comfortable - let alone find a saddle that didn't destroy my backside!

I had the same problems as you, I have tried numerous saddles but none was comfortable, you had to "harden" the groin at the beginning of the cycle season to cope with it, and the back and shoulders where a constant problem.
Yes it was a huge purchase, that's why I waited so long. There was no dealer in Sweden who had any recumberent at the time so I bought my Trice "blind". But I have not regretted it for a single moment , and any problem that has popped up are solved by ICEs excellent support department, those guys are wonderful!

Good luck with your purchase

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I switched from a road bike to a recumbent trike eighteen months ago. Right from day one I never had any issues with comfort, it is much easier on my aging back, neck and shoulders than a conventional bike. You do need to build up a different set of leg muscles but like any riding that comes fairly quickly.

Although the trike is slower up hills it is easier IMO. Once you settle into a rhythm you can winch your way up the steepest climbs with no worry about stall speed. In fact you can even stop for a rest half way up, pour a cup from the flask and smoke a cigarette while your legs regain their strength before tackling the rest of the climb.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
I own two ICE trikes , a 2004 ish Trice Classic and 2016 VTX, plus several conventional bikes

I've never felt the need for suspension on either of them.

Both were comfy from the get go, pedalling them is a different matter and it takes a while to adjust.

Never measured any power difference but the Trice is slow but its my touring trike and is great to ride loaded. The VTX is a tad slower than my fast road bikes but more fun.

I get less aches and pains on the trikes.

I've got larger rears on both but if i was to buy a new Sprint for touring it would have the smaller rear wheel for lower gears and COG

Discs on both , no experience with hub brakes

Downsides are storage and ease transport of transport. They take up a lot of space !
My Trice is very easy to get in and out of, the VTX is very low and less easy. Although ICE sell handles to help with this

Dtek ofc but if not i tried out one at York Rally and was hooked

Comfort - no conventional bike comes close to a trike.

In addition, If I had tried one out earlier i'd have less conventional bike and more trike - they are that much fun.

Last edited:

byegad

Legendary Member
I had a QNT (ICE) which I sold last year to a local lady who has spine issues, and still own two more recumbent trikes. Don't expect to be burning off Road Bikes up hill, but do expect to be easily visible, to be comfortable and to have a lot of fun!

Last edited:
That is good to know. Hubster is thinking of one. He's starting to have more health issues and doesn't want to stop riding. A trike might be the way to go for him.

For kids there is KMX

They are a little "industrial" compared with the ICE, HP VElotechnik etc, but as s kid's trike they are fine

Alternatvely the rare child sized Catrike Dash is an option

They are also a solid bar for disabled riders

Look at the Kettwiesel site for some ideas, and the others also adapt

My wife rides an electronic assist trike with extensions that allow her to stand and sit more easily

Saluki

World class procrastinator
For kids there is KMX

They are a little "industrial" compared with the ICE, HP VElotechnik etc, but as s kid's trike they are fine

Alternatvely the rare child sized Catrike Dash is an option

They are also a solid bar for disabled riders

Look at the Kettwiesel site for some ideas, and the others also adapt

My wife rides an electronic assist trike with extensions that allow her to stand and sit more easily
Hubs is still physically able but has been put on heart meds along with all his renal meds. A regular bike makes his left arm ache due to his fistula.

OP
OP
M

MCMLXXXIII

Thank you everyone for the replies.

Any glaring differences between ICE and HPV? HPV appear to be a bit cheaper - especially when you go full suspension.

Top Bottom