ICE Trikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I know, but I think that he would like a trike. Once we move I am sure that he will save for one. We will have more room at the new place.

I was talking about on a trike...

Thank you everyone for the replies.

Any glaring differences between ICE and HPV? HPV appear to be a bit cheaper - especially when you go full suspension.

Personal choice...

I chose my Gekko on the grounds of the fold

ICE frames fold upwards so the gap in the frame opens in the case of a failure of the locking bolt

HPV frames fold downwards so the frame closes if the locking bolt fails

I also liked the fact that the Gekko seat stayed on as part of the fold, and the fold was quicker and easier

starhawk

ICE frames fold upwards so the gap in the frame opens in the case of a failure of the locking bolt

Yes that is odd, but I'm shure ICE have their reasons, how often does a locking bolt fail by the way? I have the old downward folding type but as I see no reason to fold my trike that is of no consequence

Yes that is odd, but I'm shure ICE have their reasons, how often does a locking bolt fail by the way? I have the old downward folding type but as I see no reason to fold my trike that is of no consequence

I have had it shear on the Gekko, but there is still a secondary bolt that keeps the frame together

It was just one of those things that was probably totally unfounded, but I wanted to emphasise how small details and personal choice are a massive factor

I have no doubt about the ICE Trikes, as between 1994 and 2011 I rode the Peter Ross variations before ICE existed. It was only that when I wanted a replacement the only available large rear wheel was the Catrike Expediton and I loved the handling. However that was difficult to store at work and I bought the folding Gekko as a second ride.

Tilley

Über Member
I bought my used Trice from a couple in Somerset and it had been adapted so both brakes and the gear change were on the left hand bar, so it is possible, speak to the guys at ICE they are very approachable and more than happy to arrange a test ride if you can get to Falmouth.

I have a few questions:

Without suspension will it be a rough ride? Is it worth paying extra for

Are they comfortable from the get go or do they take a while to get used to?

Do they take more power to ride than a DF bike?

Are they really pain free for hundreds of miles?

Should I go for a larger back wheel or the same as the front two?

I'm considering drum brakes due to lower maintenance and weatherproofing, good idea?
The basic answer to all these questions is both yes and no, it all comes down to personal preference.

Front suspension is probably yes, but I do use the hardest elastomer in mine.
I also tend to run fattish tyres at lowish pressure which helps.

From the get go, legs will hurt, bum and back less so, hands and arms not at all. Once you get fit, then you will probably hurt less. My back improves with being on the trike but YMMV.

If you try and go at the same speed as DF bikes then trikes take more effort. If you take it easy then trikes with the right gears can take less effort as you have no minimum speed.

My main pain area is my feet in very hot/cold weather as they run hot/cold. Apart from that then only the usual muscle aches.

If you want pure speed then the bigger back wheel is faster. If you do long multiday tours then the smaller back wheel is better as you need less spares.

No idea as I've always used disk brakes. Hydraulic disks are better than mechanical disks if you only use one brae lever but are not as robust.

Any downsides to a Recumbent in general or a Trike specifically?
Downsides .............
It's harder to use pubic transport (trains & busses) with a recumbent and almost impossible with a trike. On ferries you are still charged the same as a bike so not a problem.

It's harder to filter in heavy/stationary traffic as you can see less with a lower head position. Plus the extra width of a trike makes it harder to filter anyway.
This is more than offset by drivers in general giving you more room. So unless you ride in a lot of stop/start traffic not really an issue.

It doesn't take much in the way of a wall/hedge/long grass to block the view to the side, but the view to the front is better as you're not looking down at the road.

It's harder to ride with a group of DF riders as you are slower uphill and/or faster down.

Which area are you based in. I'm sure some one based near you can give you a better understanding of what a trike is like.

Tilley

Über Member
Riding with any group of DR riders I was surprised by how much the riders obscured my forward vision. The extra width of the trike and the lower riding position puts off most riders from riding alongside and therefore means little or no conversation whilst riding.

Top Bottom