Ice...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The trick is listening to the tyres

(perhaps I should patent this as "the Tyre Listener")

Know the sound of your tyres, if it changes to a hiss you are on frost, if it is all white around you then it is snow... however if the tyres go silent then you are on ice and may have problems

I usually find I am using a more tactile approach. If I am sitting on it then it is ice.

I usually find I am using a more tactile approach. If I am sitting on it then it is ice.

In my case ...

I am sitting on it anyway

P1070053.jpg

buggi

Bird Saviour
Don't ride would be my advice. IMO it is not worth the risk of a broken pelvis/collar bone for the sake of a day off the bike, as that's likely to be 6 weeks off the bike. Not to mention the time it takes to get your confidence back even if you get away with just being bruised. If, however, you have no choice, as its your only form of transport, then I would consider investing in some studded tyres , but still be careful.

iggibizzle

In blackpool they barely grit even the most main of roads. Found out to my cost yesterday. Only a badly bruised hip and grazed arm but could have been much worse. Getting the bus today. Not worth another off!! :eek:

Tin Pot

Guru
Hmm.

It's pretty quiet in the City at the moment so I think I'll trade driver danger for ice danger tomorrow, and ride in.

winjim

Smash the cistern
The trick is listening to the tyres

(perhaps I should patent this as "the Tyre Listener")

Know the sound of your tyres, if it changes to a hiss you are on frost, if it is all white around you then it is snow... however if the tyres go silent then you are on ice and may have problems
My tyres make a horrible clattery noise on tarmac, and a lovely whooshing sound on sheet ice.

Totally agree with not going out if it is icy. There is no point in risking injury. Better to miss a day or two while the cold spell is on than miss weeks with broken bones. I know this doesn't work if you have to commute, but for leisure/fitness cyclists like myself : no point in being brave (foolhardy.) Plenty of miles to be had when it warms up a bit.

James Ots

Studded tyres are awesome on ice. On the few icy mornings last year it was great being able to ride over ice just like it was dry. You have to be careful stopping though - when you put a foot down and realise you're on sheet ice. They're also a pain on non-icy days, and I couldn't wait for the weather to warm up so I could switch back to slicks.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Yep, pretty much agree with all of the above. With only two wheels to rely on, you generally know there is black ice when you are kissing it. Gritted roads are pretty much as good as dry above-zero roads (but have the side effect of wrecking your chain rather quickly). Don't know about studded tyres. I have a pair and am almost praying for thick snow or lasting frost just so I can fit them and try them out.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Tips: get maps of gritted routes from the local highway authority and if you do meet ice, slow down, keep it straight and upright and be ready for an emergency dismount. I've had some great fun sliding theback wheel out on ice, but I've also slid off and broken bits of bike... on a road that should have been gritted but was iced.

Top Bottom