I'd like to try some racing...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Upstream

Hi all,
I've been looking at the British Cycling website and noticed that there are details of a number of closed circuit races available to enter. I have never been involved in racing before and from what I can gather, all you need to do is get a licence, sign up for a race (cat 4 if you are a beginner), pay the fee (which seems very reasonable) and off you go!

Am i right in this?
Are there any special rules that a newbie should be aware of?
Would anyone like to share their experiences (good and bad)?

Thanks in advance.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Hi all,
I've been looking at the British Cycling website and noticed that there are details of a number of closed circuit races available to enter. I have never been involved in racing before and from what I can gather, all you need to do is get a licence, sign up for a race (cat 4 if you are a beginner), pay the fee (which seems very reasonable) and off you go!

Am i right in this?
Are there any special rules that a newbie should be aware of?
Would anyone like to share their experiences (good and bad)?

Thanks in advance.

Join a club and learn how to ride in a group before you go anywhere near a bunch race. Not for your benefit, but to avoid you wiping everyone out.

It is people, who sign on at leisure like it is some sort of charity ride and then turn up to race with no group riding experience that cause the chaos because they have no close riding skills, are unpredictable, poor bike handling skills, no idea of etiquette etc.

OP
OP
Upstream

Upstream

Join a club and learn how to ride in a group before you go anywhere near a bunch race. Not for your benefit, but to avoid you wiping everyone out.
Hey Rob3rt,
Thanks for the response. I tend to ride with a group of around 10 - 15 riders on a regular basis, do you think that this would be sufficient or not? Also, with clubs, my understanding is that they aren't always that welcoming to newbies - what has your experience been?

Thanks again.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I've never raced but I have ridden with a lot of other riders, and I'd say that you need to be confident of being able to do that safely. Have you done many group rides? (If not, I suggest that you do a few because you don't want to be making it up as you go along in a race.)

OP
OP
Upstream

Upstream

I've never raced but I have ridden with a lot of other riders, and I'd say that you need to be confident of being able to do that safely. Have you done many group rides? (If not, I suggest that you do a few because you don't want to be making it up as you go along in a race.)
Hi ColinJ,
I've done some sportives too. Would that be ok do you think?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Hey Rob3rt,
Thanks for the response. I tend to ride with a group of around 10 - 15 riders on a regular basis, do you think that this would be sufficient or not? Also, with clubs, my understanding is that they aren't always that welcoming to newbies - what has your experience been?

Thanks again.

You ought to have experience riding AT SPEED, in CLOSE formation, such as chaingangs before jumping in with racing, you will be a liability. Sounds harsh but it is the case, have a read of this thread:

http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/group-riding-skills-gap-in-uk-road-racing.131017/

OP
OP
Upstream

Upstream

Did you cause any crashes in them ...? :whistle:

Only kidding! As long as you understand not to make sudden changes of speed or direction without thinking about the people around you, you should be okay.

Hi again,
I didn't end up in any crashes but strangely I saw lots just behind me - I have no idea why :laugh:

OP
OP
Upstream

Upstream

You ought to have experience riding AT SPEED, in CLOSE formation, such as chaingangs before jumping in with racing, you will be a liability. Sounds harsh but it is the case, have a read of this thread:

http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/group-riding-skills-gap-in-uk-road-racing.131017/

I read through that thread and whilst I think it definately highlights the issue, it also demonstrates why often newbies are reluctant to join clubs. Often riders I meet out on the roads tell tales of woe when venturing out with clubs; anything from being completely "frozen out" to having the group suddenly increase the pace and head off into the distance leaving a new guy behind. In my case I'm not against approaching a club per se and as a newbie I expect that there would be a lot to learn. I also expect that I'd be given advice by lots of experienced people (and I'd welcome that) but as an adult I'd get pretty cheesed off pretty quickly if I inadvertently broke some unsaid rule or unwittingly rode in a manner that didn't flow in the way that it should and someone gave me attitude over it. As a newbie I'd like to think that I'd be expected to know nothing at all about group riding and that this being the case I'd be given useful advice instead of being looked down upon, avoided or "told off".

I'm not sure what the answer is really but "the truth is out there" ;-)

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I read through that thread and whilst I think it definately highlights the issue, it also demonstrates why often newbies are reluctant to join clubs. Often riders I meet out on the roads tell tales of woe when venturing out with clubs; anything from being completely "frozen out" to having the group suddenly increase the pace and head off into the distance leaving a new guy behind. In my case I'm not against approaching a club per se and as a newbie I expect that there would be a lot to learn. I also expect that I'd be given advice by lots of experienced people (and I'd welcome that) but as an adult I'd get pretty cheesed off pretty quickly if I inadvertently broke some unsaid rule or unwittingly rode in a manner that didn't flow in the way that it should and someone gave me attitude over it. As a newbie I'd like to think that I'd be expected to know nothing at all about group riding and that this being the case I'd be given useful advice instead of being looked down upon and avoided.

That is the reason that clubs run intro rides, you go on an intro ride, they expect complete novices (to group riding, not to cycling in general, i.e. you don't turn up and ask for mechanical assistance with removing your stabilisers), they will teach you the etiquette, the signals, how to ride safely in a group. You can then progress to other rides which will develop your fitness and hone your skills for riding at high speeds in a bunch etc.

You state those things would cheese you off, well think about it another way, how cheesed off do you think other riders will be if you turn up to a race and cause a big pile up in the 1st corner?

If you turn up to a chaingang as your 1st ride with no experience, you picked the wrong ride and you will get shot out of the back sharpish or if you are riding erratically no-one will follow you onto the front and you will be left to pull until you blow. That is the nature of the beast.

If you want to try some racing where you wont be a potential liability, why not ride a few time trials, while integrating yourself with a club and learning the ropes ready to take to the circuit?

zizou

Veteran
Whereabouts are you based? I think some areas of the country have Go-Race events specifically for beginners and i dont think a racing license is needed.

I read through that thread and whilst I think it definately highlights the issue, it also demonstrates why often newbies are reluctant to join clubs. Often riders I meet out on the roads tell tales of woe when venturing out with clubs; anything from being completely "frozen out" to having the group suddenly increase the pace and head off into the distance leaving a new guy behind. In my case I'm not against approaching a club per se and as a newbie I expect that there would be a lot to learn. I also expect that I'd be given advice by lots of experienced people (and I'd welcome that) but as an adult I'd get pretty cheesed off pretty quickly if I inadvertently broke some unsaid rule or unwittingly rode in a manner that didn't flow in the way that it should and someone gave me attitude over it. As a newbie I'd like to think that I'd be expected to know nothing at all about group riding and that this being the case I'd be given useful advice instead of being looked down upon, avoided or "told off".

IME most clubs are by and large pretty friendly and open to newcomers. If you have a bad experience then worth writing it off and trying another club as you would be unlikely to get unlucky twice. Clubs tend to allow you 2 or 3 rides with them before you need to join as a member. However there are things as a newbie you have to be aware of too - like if you turn up for a chain gang ride then that is a different beast to a sunday ride. Chain gang is a training ride with little mercy shown - you are expected to be at a certain level both fitness and skill wise and if you get dropped or get a mechanical / puncture then thats it no waiting around....this applies whether as a new member or old. A sunday club ride on the other hand shouldnt normally be like this and should be a more welcoming affair.

A club will also help you gauge where you are in terms of fitness and speed with other people who race, outwith a race environment. Cat 4 racers might be bottom of the pile but dont underestimate how strong most of them are relative to the average. Racing is alot of fun so i can see why you are attracted to it! However the fun really happens when you are of a similar standard to those around you - it could be a very lonely place if you get dropped in the first 5 minutes. I had that sort of wake up call on my 1st outing on a chain gang, i'm glad it happened there than in my first race!

I agree with Robert's comments Upstream. I'm by no means an old hand, anything but, but clubs are the places to learn group riding and chain-gangs for racing at speed. I guess a lot would depend on how you ride with your group? How comfortable are you in a bunch? Do you ride two abreast as most club rides follow because in a circuit race there can be 5,6,7 riders abreast. Most circuits and clubs that offer BC races at the different categories also offer race training events which will be specific training for that type of event - in your case a circuit race.

Being new to racing myself at Category 4 (the lowest category), the average speed of a circuit race still approaches 25mph +...and that's an average. This is much faster than most club rides and yet you won't have the friendly, forgiving nature of a club ride on a circuit race. As with a chain-gang and as others have said, there are no prisoners taken. With circuit racing and road racing at the lower standard if you don't stay with the group you won't 'get back on.' And in order to stay on, you have to be comfortable riding in a bunch where in some cases, there are others who behave like idiots, freaking out relative freshers like me.

The best of luck to you either way but there are are some old hands on this forum who are very definitely worth listening to...

oldroadman

Veteran
Sportives do not qualify anyone for anything to do with racing. Although some people treat them a s races, who simply would not survive in a race situation. Her's a very important tip to start with. Don't overlap wheels unless you like falling off a lot and enjoy abuse and worse from the victims of your actions. That applies on club rider as well. Do take advice, explian you are new, and most people will be happy to help you with your skills and etiquette - after all it's in their interests that you are safe and sensible.
Be aware of your own ability. The first race or two will be hard, and don't please, ever sprint for 20th place (or anywhere below top 6 really) because that's where the crashes happen. If you are not top 10/12 with a km to fo, it's not likely to get better, so ease our gently (just relax a fracton on the pedals) and stay away from the idiots. No-one will care about the lower places anyway, just concentrate on being smooth, alert to what's happening around you, holding a steady line, and not cutting people off in the corners.
It might sound a lot, but the one thing no-one can teach is experience, which is why you should start with club rides and take your time to progress.
No point in adding to the silly quota in lower cat races, it's already full!

I really don't know how so many people seem to have bad experiences with clubs, being ignored, dropped in the back of beyond etc. I can only think they're either turning up at a chain gang thinking it's a club run, over estimating their ability and going with the fastest group or they've picked the local trade team.
All the 'standard' clubs I know of are friendly and cater for a wide range of abilities.

Top Bottom