ID this front rack for Brompton?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Geedubbayoo

Regular
I found this image online while searching for a Brompton front rack. It’s the only image of this particular rack I can find suggesting it might be custom made but I’m hoping someone here might recognize it and tell me where I can order one like it. I like that it has a large platform. I’m looking for something I can use to carry large packages like pizza boxes and other take away / to-go containers. The image can be found at both these URLs:

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/e0/fe/97/e0fe978d1c6ce5862f1fd1521501146d--rack-bicycle-components.jpg

https://www.pinterest.ru/pin/170503535876205067/

Thanks,
Greg
San Francisco CA USA

Attachments

• F0A067C5-5CC4-4A0E-A2F2-9239D968AF93.jpeg
    F0A067C5-5CC4-4A0E-A2F2-9239D968AF93.jpeg
    87.4 KB · Views: 50

berlinonaut

Veteran
Custom made in my opinion.

berlinonaut

Veteran
Btw.: In the description of the pic on pinterest the source of the rack is noted: bromptonlab.ru. They do have it on their webshop: http://www.bromptonlab.ru/product/bagazhnik-perednij-dlya-brompton/ It looks like a somewhat bigger version of the various front racks fom Asia and somewhat smaller than on the pic on pinterest- probably a question of the perspective of the pic. For a pizza box probably not big enough.
It is relatively easy to modify a generic cargo-rack for the Brompton. Looks like that:
image-jpg.jpg

Pic is taken from this thread where there's also a more in detail description and the discussion of alternative ways.

u_i

Über Member
With the center so much displaced from the luggage block, that platform rack will not hold much without a serious risk to the block.

berlinonaut

Veteran
With the center so much displaced from the luggage block, that platform rack will not hold much without a serious risk to the block.
Well, for one I' not assume that a Pizza would overload the block :ohmy: and secondly in the linked thread there are other ways how a rack could be attached - personally I like the idea of a child-seat-mount as a basis as it should be solid enough and not stress the carrier block. The load would then however be on the steering column rather than on the main frame which I consider a bit of a disadvantage.

OP
OP
Geedubbayoo

Geedubbayoo

Regular
Thanks for the link everyone. I found the pinterest image link while using my phone and for some reason the text "Brompton Titanium front rack from bromptonlab.ru" is not displayed on the phone. However I can see it on my laptop.

I do think the rack I asked about is big and strong enough for a pizza box or a bag of take out containers if used with straps. That wouldn't weigh more than 10 lbs / 4.5 kgs, about half the suggested weight limit of 10 kgs (which I assume is a conservative amount).

Schwinnsta

Half the load would be conservative if its centroid were closer to what is the normal Brompton bag's centroid. That rack at least doubles the centroid, so no 10 pounds for it, is not conservative.

Top Bottom