Ideas for a month's holiday?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
An African business friend of mine needs to take it easy for a month to help his recovery from an illness. He would like to come to the UK and do something completely different from his normal stressful life while, hopefully, improving his mind. He has often told me he wished he knew more about art, literature and music.

Has anybody got any bright ideas for some kind of course he could undertake? He can pay and he is happy getting around London.

Noodley

Rigid Raider said:
He would like to come to the UK and do something completely different from his normal stressful life...London.

Sorry? He wants to come to London for a stressless life?

The far north/north-west of Scotland is where he will find stressless.

ChrisKH

Guru
London has some of the best art galleries, concert halls and museums in the world. I'd refine what area he is really interested in pursuing (a month is not that long to learn something new) and target that area. Tate modern is a great place to start for art, Globe Theatre for literature, Museum of the Moving Image for film, Southbank Centre for music and dance, British Museum for British History, Imperial War Museum, etc. The list is endless but in terms of what you originally stated there is a hub of activity on the South Bank and he could quite literally move from one activity to the other and still not do it all. Lucky man IMO.

domtyler

Über Member
ChrisKH said:
London has some of the best art galleries, concert halls and museums in the world. I'd refine what area he is really interested in pursuing (a month is not that long to learn something new) and target that area. Tate modern is a great place to start for art, Globe Theatre for literature, Museum of the Moving Image for film, Southbank Centre for music and dance, British Museum for British History, Imperial War Museum, etc. The list is endless but in terms of what you originally stated there is a hub of activity on the South Bank and he could quite literally move from one activity to the other and still not do it all. Lucky man IMO.

Er, ahem, surely you mean the National Gallery is the best place to start for art? :rolleyes:

Sending someone to look at Urinals and rubbish heaps may not be that sensible a place to send a beginner. IMO.

Arch

Married to Night Train
ChrisKH said:

If he can time it to come when the Proms are on, there'll be a lot of extra musical choice, I guess.

Does a magazine like TimeOut list day events and courses? He may be able to just choose to do something organised, say every other day, and in between just do the museums, walk in parks, etc in a less structured way.

Might be worth seeing if the Open University have any short courses going on in the area - I think you can do some stuff without being in it for the full degree....

red_tom

zimzum42 said:
He might find SOAS an interesting place

The union bar is not as interesting as it used to be :rolleyes:

What about some sort of volunteering?

http://www.timebank.org.uk/

Top Bottom