Ideas?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lukesdad

My Cannondale M2000 circa 1991 is very tired, and needs some attention.

At the moment its 7 speed triple with a ritchey logic chainset and shimano xt drive train and thumbshifters that can be used as either indexed or friction.

As decent 7 speed stuff is hard to get hold of ,here are my thoughts.

Drop in a 9 speed rear wheel and cassette, Ive got an old XTR rear mech if the current XT wont work. As I want to use it on the road as my winter bike thinking of putting a road chainset on the front double or triple the bottom bracket is a square taper. Will this work do you think?

Particular concerns would be;
Would the shifters throw the cages far enough?
Would i need to change the bottom bracket. I d like to stay with square
taper if I can would a road triple fit the existing bottom bracket.
Any other issues I might encounter?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

jpembroke

You'll need to upgrade the shifters and chances are BB will be too wide - but that just means you'll have be showing a lot of spindle, if you know what I mean. It's a case of give it a go and see what happens.

Landslide

Rare Migrant
Old thumbies have a "hidden" extra postion, so you could use an 8spd cassette (on a Shimano 8/9/10 freehub). Alternatively, you'll probably get away with using them on the friction setting on pretty much any cassette.

As for the chainset/BB scenario, it's probably a case of "suck it and see".

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
You can use friction shifters with any groupset. ie my daily ride uses 20 year old friction shifters on a 10 speed cassette.

The current BB will probably be too short and the road chainset will sit too close to the chainstays. Youcould try a longer BB but then you still might have problems with the larger chainrings a road chainset sawing through the the wide chainstays of the MTB frame.

OP
OP
lukesdad

lukesdad

Thanks guys ill have to measure the bottom bracket length. Are all square taper BBs the same size taper or do they differ ?

OP
OP
lukesdad

lukesdad

Thanks for that Landslide.

OP
OP
lukesdad

lukesdad

right sorted that used some compact chainrings on old triple mtb chainset 50/34 a bit low can I get larger compact rings or is that it.

Top Bottom