Identify Steel chainring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CTony

Regular
Hello I’m trying to find information on a crank that was removed from a Dawes Made in England stamped UtilityAny idea?

Attachments

• 36790DD8-3E97-4D5F-9BAF-E63543A26CCB.jpeg
    36790DD8-3E97-4D5F-9BAF-E63543A26CCB.jpeg
    191 KB · Views: 17
  • CB7C64B6-F294-41A9-9EEF-56C357B8B89A.jpeg
    CB7C64B6-F294-41A9-9EEF-56C357B8B89A.jpeg
    211.1 KB · Views: 19
Utility goods were produced during/just after WW2. Cheap and cheerful because quality materials were wanted elsewhere.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
What a lovely chainwheel. No idea about it’s provenance but it’s far from being ‘utility’. The coronation might well have something to do with it, the date of the donor bike might well nail it.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
A bit of googling led me to a thread from 2006 on an Australian cycling forum. Which may be a total red herring/utter nonsense, but you never know.

https://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=19887

My inverted Coronation has a serial of 3P 1468 which is located on the seat collar on the seat tube.
I too have never seen mens version of the Coronation however but I do know of a friend who has a chainring which i have seen with crowns cut into them much like BSA had shaped into theirs. I cant remember the make/model it came off but I would think that this chainring shaped with crowns would've been off these models??
Silverlight, I was told that several chainrings with the crown were made and given to various countries as a gift. Each country was given one only. A long time bike store owner in Sydney had one but I recently heard that it was sold to a private collector. This information was provided by a reputable source it is just the number of chainrings that were given I am unsure of.

Top Bottom