identify the noise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steve Saunders

I had a cracking / creaking noise that started off only happening when I was seated - so I assumed it was the seat-post ... but it wasn't. It gradually got worse, to the point it was doing it every pedal revolution ... but only when putting some power down. It turned out it was the bottom bracket (hollowtech II), and after removing, cleaning and re-greasing the threads it was silent for the commute this morning. If you spin the pedals very gently and there is no noise I'd suggest looking at the bottom bracket, may just need slackening and re-tightening a little.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I have that many sodding noises on my commuter that I dont even bother to find out what it is anymore. Its not reluctance, just that the bike isnt worth spending loads of money on it and it still works fine. I know it isnt anything serious (yet) because I have breifly checked over the conditions of the important parts (bottom bracket, wheels, steering).
The front wheel makes noises, the stem makes noises, I get the odd noise from the BB, and the whole bike creaks a little when I am going uphil and putting a lot of pressure on the frame.

All these things sound worrying but believe me, everything is still strong. The odd parts probably need a clean and grease.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Need some grease on the pedal/crank threads ?
A little lube on the cleats ?

Both of these have had me convinced my bottom bracket was on the way out ...:headshake:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
[QUOTE 2485766, member: 30090"]Something to do with the seat clamp or seat imo.

Take the seat and seat post off the bike and see if it happens. Other than that I don't know.[/quote]

I have this problem too. I have loosed and re-tightened the seat tube and clamp but it still squeaks. I am going to try dieting now.

Zofo

Veteran
[QUOTE 2485757, member: 45"]It's a clicky creak. Only when I move the pedals but not consistently at the same part of the stroke. It only happens when I'm sitting in the saddle and not standing on the pedals. Only when the bike is moving, and I can't replicate it when it isn't-if I turn the pedals when stationary it doesn't happen.

I've checked all the bolts and quick releases and they're fine. This one has me stumped.

Anyone?[/quote]

I've had this problem before and tracked it down to the chainring bolts, its particulary noticeable when the weather warms up and you get different expansion rates of the bolts to the rings. Simple remedy is to strip the chain rings dow, grease the bolts and tighten to the correct torque setting.

pawl

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 2485757, member: 45"]It's a clicky creak. Only when I move the pedals but not consistently at the same part of the stroke. It only happens when I'm sitting in the saddle and not standing on the pedals. Only when the bike is moving, and I can't replicate it when it isn't-if I turn the pedals when stationary it doesn't happen.

I've checked all the bolts and quick releases and they're fine. This one has me stumped.

Anyone?[/quote]
I had this problem turned it was either the seat clamp.Quick spray with WD40 resolved the problem,

Top Bottom