Identifying a Creak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mondobongo

Über Member
My SCR 2.0 has developed a strange creak coming from the area of the cranks it is there seated or standing when it is slightly louder. So far have checked there is no play in cranks and they are tight, chainring bolts are tight one was loose now tightened, pedals are tight.

In addition to the creak there is a slight gritty feel also when pedalling. Bike is just 2 months old pedals are 105 spd and also new as are cleats.

My feeling is possibly its to do with cleats and pedals am going to try turning the tension up slightly and checking cleat bolts are tight other than that am at a loss. Anyone suggest other possible causes?

asterix

Comrade Member
Hate to be alarmist, but could be a cracked frame in the worse case scenario. More likely in aluminium frames than other materials.

Membrane

mondobongo said:
My feeling is possibly its to do with cleats and pedals am going to try turning the tension up slightly and checking cleat bolts are tight other than that am at a loss. Anyone suggest other possible causes?

Likely to be the pedals and cleats, my left one also developed a creak. New SPD pedals come drowned in grease, I suggest lubricating the SPD mechanism of the pedals with an aerosol grease. That type of grease is highly liquid when sprayed on, hence the capillary effect will get the grease into the nooks and crannies, but after the solvent has evaporeted the remaining grease is highly viscous.

girofan

Had a similar problem some time ago. It really is a process of elimination.
Try removing the pedals from the cranks, grease thread and replace.
At least that's one potential problem eliminated. Hope you have success!!

Clive Atton

Über Member
Or possibly the bottom bracket bearing cup threads creaking in the alloy bottom bracket. Take out the cups (while your at it make sure the bottom bracket bearings are OK), grease threads and reassemble - it worked on my Lemond Reno.

Brock

Creak with a slight gritty feeling, I'd put money on it being the cleat in the SPD as Membrane said. I gave my pedal a WD40 shower and it's been fine since.

Abitrary

Isn't it weird that when you cycle you can never determine the origin of a creaking sound.

No it's not. It's all about sound displacement in air.

Next time you have the lube out, lube all moving parts, not the part you are mistakenly lubing in the first place

OP
OP
mondobongo

mondobongo

Über Member
Thanks for the replies people, hopefully get it sorted out beginning of next week now that house move is done and dusted.

Top Bottom