Idiots guide to go racing.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
Hey,

So I’ve been cycling for nearly a year now and would like to do some so racing, but where do I start?
How fast do I have to be before I can seriously think I can enter?
Do I need to buy a licence?
Do I need top gear or will my Aldi cycling clothes be ok? My Cube GTC pro ok?
What race do you start on, the sportives? Closed circuit? Road race?

So much I just don’t know what to do or where to start?
I think the how fast do you need to be is one of my biggest worries.

Help please.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I had a go at a couple earlier in the summer. Not 'Go Races' though.
Do you have any level of BC membership? Reason for asking is that it affects Race licensing.

I have not tried closed circuit, only open road but I know many will take a view that closed circuit is safer. Not really a view I care to share but there you are. Avg speeds are going to vary, depending on the course and field...

OP
OP
Peter Armstrong

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
No BC membership, as I do not know what that is?
So a closed circuit is the same race ad a road cicuit, its just closed off to traffic, got ya!
So what memberships or license did you have to get for that? how fast of a rider are you? Did you find it easy to stay with a group?

VamP

Banned
Start with the British Cycling website and work from there.

A provisional racing licence is the minimum requirement for the majority of races. BC website also has details of races near you.

Closed circuit races are more common at the entry level (4th cat), but if you find 3/4 road race, that will probably be a more gentle introduction, as the crits can be fast and furious. No need to buy new kit, in fact, as you're quite likely to crash, old kit is better.

Consider joining a club, as they will help you with your racing progress. Beware that racing is an inherently dangerous activity, and as a newbie, you are likely to be a liability at first. Try not to cause a crash ;)

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
No BC membership, as I do not know what that is?
So a closed circuit is the same race ad a road cicuit, its just closed off to traffic, got ya!
So what memberships or license did you have to get for that? how fast of a rider are you? Did you find it easy to stay with a group?

BC is British Cycling. I would take a look at their website as there's a lot of useful information and everything you could possibly need to know abut the rules and licensing aspect. Results and a calendar of future races are other obvious benefits of a visit to the site.

I can't really comment too much on circuits but the two open road races I did were technically on cicuits but it's not the same as on a purpose built track, which is like a Grand Prix, for bikes. From what I have seen and read, the circuit races or Crits are at a v fast pace and just a series of corners & sprints, corners & sprints... and repeat... Likely a bunch sprint at the end. The ones I did were more strung out but this was in part due to the way the races were organised (split into groups, based upon ability).

I have BC Silver membership but I upgraded my Provisional license to a full racing license for an additional cost of (I think) about £32. This would have meant I kept any BC points, if I had been lucky enough to finish high up enough to have been awarded any.

I am not the world's greatest rider, by any stretch of the imagination and certanly would be out-sprinted by Miss Marple. I am and ok all-rounder and fairly strong at the front, e.g. happy to do a big pull or indeed follow breaks. Stayed with my groups, both times and was involved in a 3 man break in the second race, which was really good fun as we were off the front of the race and being chased down by a field of 57 other riders, including some very good 2nd and 3rd category riders. Foolish but good fun nonetheless :thumbsup:

Race one was about 24mph avg and race two was close to 25, if I recall. So it's quite fast but if you are drafting a lot and doing proper through & off chaingangs then it's not as bad as it sounds. Hardest part is making it look like you are doing loads of work while doing as little as possible, which is an art of deception that I am sadly lacking in...

OP
OP
Peter Armstrong

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
How fast do you have to be to actually think about doing it? I don’t want to embarrass myself because I’m to slow when I turn up.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Yep - looks good!

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I agree with Vamp, regardless of my indications of possible speed. My expectations have been to get droppoed and finish dead last, on both ocassions. The fact that I finished and wasn't last has been a bonus!

zizou

Veteran
I think you can do the Go Race events without membership (or at least without a race license). To enter other events then you need membership and at least a silver provisional race license.

Best advice is to join a club it will not only let you gauge where your fitness is but also learn how to ride in a fast paced group.

I'm not sure what it is like in Go Race events but in cat 4 and above races this time of year is the hardest time to start because alot of the guys you are up against will likely have a few months of racing this season already in their legs.

Speed wise it varies so much on terrain and event - my last RR (an evening development race so juniors, open women and adult cat 3/4) was about 23mph. That was with some hills - on my own on the same course i doubt i could break 18 mph.

VamP

Banned
I think you can do the Go Race events without membership (or at least without a race license). To enter other events then you need membership and at least a silver provisional race license.

Best advice is to join a club it will not only let you gauge where your fitness is but also learn how to ride in a fast paced group.

I'm not sure what it is like in Go Race events but in cat 4 and above races this time of year is the hardest time to start because alot of the guys you are up against will likely have a few months of racing this season already in their legs.

Speed wise it varies so much on terrain and event - my last RR (an evening development race so juniors, open women and adult cat 3/4) was about 23mph. That was with some hills - on my own on the same course i doubt i could break 18 mph.

It can be hard to find Go Race events that cater for adults though. But yes you can do them without a licence. Cyclocross is another good way into racing, and you can race on a day licence usually.

OP
OP
Peter Armstrong

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
When I posted the tile "idiots guide to go racing" I didnt know there was a type of racing called "Go racing", I ment to "go" racing if that makes sence......................

Top Bottom