Idiots guide to go racing.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Peter Armstrong

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
Time trial's, until you have some group riding experience from riding with a club.

I've rode in club ride wth rochdale Triathlon club long rides on sunday in a group, we also did some chain gang sessions once a week. That stopped now due to not many turning up on chain gang and getting bored of wating for the older women on the sunday ride so ride solo now.

Im not a experienced group rider, but I know the basics, im not a total noob but I know I probably have lots to learn.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Raw speed is not the main limiter in racing success btw, in terms of pure speed I regularly put 4-5 minutes into Cat 3 road racers over 10 miles in time trials, but the sudden changes of pace in a crit or road race would do me in sharpish. With crits and road races, there are changes of pace as people attack, go round bends etc, tactics also play a major role. If you race smart, you don't need to be that strong to have some racing success.

Put it this way, I know a few competent Cat 3's who can only do 26-28 minute 10 mile time trials. That is stronger than the average cyclist, but it is not that fast.

OP
OP
Peter Armstrong

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
So the General advice is

1, Find decent club to ride with, I can guage my speed and ask for advice, (I may stay solo for now)
2, Get a membership and at least a silver provisional race license (What Membership? I see the bronce, silver and gold. The Bronce seems enough for now)
3, Find a Closed 4th cat circuit or road race (lik this https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/events/details/96108/The-Cotton-Spinners-Crits)
4, Race!

some races say you have to be "All riders must register with the Tameside Cycling Development League" whats that all about?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
1) Yes
2) Silver or Gold is needed in order to get a full race license, so get Silver!
3) There are crits every Tuesday in Ashton as part of the Tameside Cycling Development League, you should be able to sign up on the day, but I can check with a club mate who organises racing over there. There is also the CDNW raod races, check their website for details. Plus the TLI road and criterium races.
4) Yes.

There are lots of club 10's (10 mile TT's) going on weekly, just turn up, pay your money and ride, no license needed.

OP
OP
Peter Armstrong

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
1) Yes
3) There are crits every Tuesday in Ashton as part of the Tameside Cycling Development League, you should be able to sign up on the day, but I can check with a club mate who organises racing over there. There is also the CDNW raod races, check their website for details. Plus the TLI road and criterium races.
4) Yes.

There are lots of club 10's (10 mile TT's) going on weekly, just turn up, pay your money and ride, no license needed.

Cheers!

OP
OP
Peter Armstrong

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
Clubs around the rochdale area

West Pennine RC
East lancashire RC
ABC Centrville
Middleton CC

Know any of these that are good?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I have ridden in an ABC Centreville organised open TT, it was well organised, no idea of their credentials as a club though. The others, don't know.

Clubs which I know of that are good around the Manchester area are:

Seamons CC
Wills Wheels
Leigh Premier
Macclesfield Wheelers
Withington Wheelers
Warrington RC
Westmead Team 88
many others and of course the rather great Manchester Wheelers :smile:

OP
OP
Peter Armstrong

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
1, Find decent club to ride with, I can guage my speed and ask for advice,
2, Get a membership and at least a silver provisional race license
3, Find a Closed 4th cat circuit or road race (lik this https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/events/details/96108/The-Cotton-Spinners-Crits)
4, Race!

Step 2 done!

OP
OP
Peter Armstrong

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
1) Yes
4) Yes.

Hey Rob3rt, Do you know if you can sign up on the day? Ow and would I need to wait for my license to be post or would my license number suffice?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
You will have to be more specific about the event. I think the license number should suffice. Let me know the event you wish to enter and I will find out.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I will ask someone in the club, we (as a club, I personally have no involvement with road racing or crits) organise some of the nights over there so someone will know exactly how it works.

Top Bottom