Idiots' Guide to Road Disc Brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
theclaud

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I am fairly confident that, if our Claudine ever met the obnoxious Gove, the verbing of nouns would be quite a way down the agenda....

It's a closer threat than you imagine - my mum lives in his constituency. I met the former MP, Michael 'Father of Bear' Grylls, and the nicest thing that I can think to say about him is that he was not MIchael Gove...

OP
OP
theclaud

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Yes it is a collection of bits, disks, brakes, hubs, rims, and spokes.
If I go to your albums I can see the pic as an album cover, but it tells me I don't have permission to view it. Should I take this personally?

Are those Spyres?

OP
OP
theclaud

theclaud

Openly Marxist
You having issues with spyre disc calipers claud

It stems from The Claud not knowing exactly how much the time saving target should be over 10 miles, or something.
Ha.

Yep see upthread. Not really having issues any more but the clearance between the front caliper and the spokes was impossibly small with the original setup. I've now got a mahoosive rotor and have tweaked the wheel slightly, so it's just about OK, but still a pretty tiny gap.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Ha.

Yep see upthread. Not really having issues any more but the clearance between the front caliper and the spokes was impossibly small with the original setup. I've now got a mahoosive rotor and have tweaked the wheel slightly, so it's just about OK, but still a pretty tiny gap.
I have both bikes setup with spyres and dont seem to have any issues with clearence

What bike is it on claud

OP
OP
theclaud

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Right you were, it was a flatish bit.
Yes but it wasn't the sort of destruction I was expecting. Nemesis doesn't like to be tied down too much.

OP
OP
theclaud

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Bumpetty-bump. I've just realized I know nothing about disc brake pads. Is there any kind of standardization, or is it a free-for-all? The Spyre ones are about £14, but they don't look significantly different from eg these...

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Bumpetty-bump. I've just realized I know nothing about disc brake pads. Is there any kind of standardization, or is it a free-for-all? The Spyre ones are about £14, but they don't look significantly different from eg these...
Check Disco Brakes and Merlin for maybe even cheaper prices. Semi metalic ones are my pads of choice. Last a very long time and have very little squeal in the wet.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Fwiw you can buy very thin shim washers that sit between the disc rotor and the hub to offset the disc and cope with frame and fork manufacturing tolerances which are often not quite what they need to be disc wise.

As to pads whatever superstar sells slows me down.

Top Bottom