Idiot's Guide to Turbos

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Spinney

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
De Sisti said:
I've got one of these. They're dead easy to ride on, have a
variable resistance unit on them but they are expensive.

$795 :smile:

De Sisti

Veteran
Spinney said:

You can't buy them from the USA, but there's a UK distributor that sells them
at £875. Ok, you might think they're expensive and overpriced, but how many
cyclists do you think always go for the cheaper option?

How many riders do you think are riding on bikes which cost in excess of £2,000,
whereas a £1000 bike would be suit their needs just as well. Slight differences to
the kit may add to the price, as well as to someone's profit margin. I've yet to meet
anyone who always buys the cheaper option, and that's not just relating
to cycling.

They are good rollers though.

Garz said:
Purchased the Taxc Satori tonight after work with evans 10% discount. Shall update thread once I have used collapsed on it tomorrow. :smile:

I've just received one of these, although I haven't had a chance to try it out yet.

I too will let folk know how I get on....

OP
OP
Spinney

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
De Sisti said:
You can't buy them from the USA, but there's a UK distributor that sells them
at £875. Ok, you might think they're expensive and overpriced, but how many
cyclists do you think always go for the cheaper option?

How many riders do you think are riding on bikes which cost in excess of £2,000,
whereas a £1000 bike would be suit their needs just as well. Slight differences to
the kit may add to the price, as well as to someone's profit margin. I've yet to meet
anyone who always buys the cheaper option, and that's not just relating
to cycling.

They are good rollers though.

I agree about not always buying the cheaper option. My comment was because I'm not a serious enough cyclist to think that spending that amount of cash on rollers is worthwhile (not sure how much I'll end up using my cheapo ones yet!).

[And my car needs fixing, and the boiler has just stopped working (and is old enough so that the chap who says 'better get a new one' might actually be telling the truth...!) :smile:]

De Sisti

Veteran
Spinney,

I wasn't having a go at you.

Sometimes I buy cheap, sometimes I don't. With watches for example, I prefer
mechanical watches to quartz ones.

in 1994 for £1575, and over the past 3 years I've bought an Aristo chronometer
pilots watch for £600, a Zeno Explorer for £150 and a Traser Explorer for £200.

I could have bought cheaper, more accurate quartz watches, but they don't
float my boat, if you know what I mean.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
magnatom said:
I've just received one of these, although I haven't had a chance to try it out yet.

I too will let folk know how I get on....

Have you been robbing a bank? New lights, new house, new bike and now a turbo trainer? :tongue:

Garz

Squat Member
I think he got some inheritance old bean.

Actually, the bike was purchased (partly) from inheritance. My sister was going through my mums things a couple of months ago and came across £1000 worth of cash in my mums drawers. The rest of my mums estate has gone to my sister and myself and has helped to fund work in our house. However, this money felt like it should be spent differently, as a final gift from our mum, so we spent it on something we enjoy. For me that was a new bike, although it was a practical buy as well.

As for the lights, that was a necessary purchase as I had lost my previous lights....or so I thought! :biggrin::wacko:

Funnily enough, the baby will be cheap to start with. We have all of the 'stuff' and family tend to get clothes. It is in 9 months time when baby goes to nursery when costs go up (luckily oldest will be going to school!).

OP
OP
Spinney

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Spinney said:
Just ordered rollers from ChainReaction (Wiggle's website said they were in stock, but then they emailed me to say they weren't! grrr).

So tales of falling onto the dining table/kitchen floor will no doubt follow next week sometime (or banging my head on the shed roof, as the clearance there is not a lot!)

Gold star for Chain Reaction AND Parcelforce. After the Chain Reaction man said on the phone 'Dunno, I don't think it will be despatched until Monday' - there comes a knock on my door at 11.30 this morning, and it is Parcel Force with a nice large box!

Sadly, must get some more work done today before assembling and trying it out.

OP
OP
Spinney

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Hmm. Most damage so far - slightly sore fingers after trying to put the elastic band thingy onto the front roller...

Tried it for a short ride - in an inside doorway which I needed a lot of the time! Hopefully will be less wobbly on it when I've done a few more miles and there will be less of the shoulders leaning on the doorframe!

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
keep at it, I've not ridden rollers in 30 years and seem to recall I found starting out as easy as falling off a bicycle.

Did get a turbo (CycleOps Magento) for my birthday in December. I find some loud music, a training plan for the session, a training DVD, or something on iPlayer keeps me occupied mentally.

adscrim

Veteran
I watch DVD's while on my rollers and alternate sprint and recovery with scene changes - comedy sketch shows are obviously good for this. I use a HRM in conjunction with my computer to determine work rate - although I don't pay much attention to the computer read out, I use is to maintain a certain pedalling intensity as I don't have a cadence sensor for the Garmin yet.

I found that I stopped needing balance assistance quite quickly although I still struggle to take a drink!

Top Bottom