Idle question... how much use do most high-end bikes see?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
C

chris667

Guru
I think I paid about £20 for my last RS500 BB

I genuinely don't mind anyone spends their money on. I don't ride with anyone else these days and I don't know people who own modern bikes. I'm not much of a joiner. This is less than I thought they cost - I was just looking at @IanSmithCSE 's thread about his broken bikes.
I can say that with fat tubes which you get on modern bikes, the size of modern external BBs looks a bit more in proportion - the traditional 68mm BB feels like the right size for a 531 tubed road bike.

Putting the bearings on the outside instinctively feels like bad engineering, but I don't know. It's a fact finding exercise for me.

I haven't got a high end bike!
Me neither! I am reassessing what I want from my bikes - my electric MTB is great on days when I just want to go somewhere without much effort, my Horizon is a great bike when I want to go under my own steam.

I have an inkling that I might buy a really nice (expensive) bike as I have a significant birthday coming up and want to treat myself. The question is really whether to get something similar to what I have now, or get something completely new (to me). As I said, I'm out of the loop.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
This is less than I thought they cost

I just checked A BB R60, Ultegra so pretty fancy-pants is £24.99 from wiggle and £16.99 from Merlin, who are really good for components prices.

For the fanciest possible pants a Dura Ace BB is £45/£36 at Wiggle/Merlin. And I bet you could get some othér manufacturers with ceramic bearings or something weird for even more.

I'd agree that for fit-and-forget-ness, though, a cartridge will probably be more reliable.

My worst experience was I had a SRAM outboard BB (I forget the model) seize up solid after very little use (again I don't remember). I got on my bike and the pedals just wouldn't turn at all. Stuck fast. No idea why it did that. I replaced it like for like and the replacement lasted ages.

If I was building a bike from scratch and choosing all components I might well choose ye olde square taper cartridge. But I'm not. I just replace bits on my bike generally like for like as and when I need to.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
GXP, they do that. Need regular re-greasing, even 'premium makes'. My Praxis GXP BB is better than the SRAM GXP but still needs looking after.

GXP, yes, that's the fellow. I rode all day in torrential rain/floods and water must have got in, because the next time I tried to ride it was rock-solid.

Top Bottom