Idle question... how much use do most high-end bikes see?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
Well the square taper BB on my Boardman hybrid only seemed to last about 1500 miles each. So I was quite pleased when the modern (pressfit) one on my Cube road bike lasted around 6,000 miles.

OP
OP
C

chris667

Guru
Well the square taper BB on my Boardman hybrid only seemed to last about 1500 miles each.

That's shocking. Did it get replaced under warranty? I don't cover high mileages anymore, but when I used to be keen that would have been about six weeks of riding!

Mind you, 6,000 miles doesn't sound a lot either.

I reckon about 15,000 miles is reasonable for a UN55 which is what I've specified on my old bikes.

Drago

Legendary Member
5000 miles out of a modern external bearing type system BB isn't too bad.

But the nice thing about cycling is that it's a broad church right down to individual component level. If you don't like such things swap them out for something else, which may necessitate a new chainset, or simply buy a bike with a spec that suits you.

Doesn't seem difficult to me.

OP
OP
C

chris667

Guru
5000 miles out of a modern external bearing type system BB isn't too bad.

But what's the advantage of it? They are expensive items. I don't think 5000 miles is a lot when Shimano's utterly unglamorous UN55 lasts about three times as long and you get change from 30 quid.

You're right, it's all choice. It just seems like bad choice and deliberately poor design. Your money though!

Drago

Legendary Member
The advantage is that such an arrangement permits a larger diameter, and hence potentially stiffer, crank spindle. The walls of the spindle can also be thinner, and hence lighter.

As aforementioned, it's a broad church - if such marginal performance gains aren't worth the reliability sacrifice for you personally then there are ample alternatives.

I don't like Chinese food so don't eat it, but don't make a big deal because many find it just fine and dandy.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It all varies, and wxternal BB's generally don't last as long as they are in the firing line of dirt, I see this with my MTB. Shimano external bearings are best of the bunch.

Other stuff like chainrings. These wear depending on conditions. I've gone through big rings on two MTB's within 18 months before, and I always have a spare in stock.

The cost can be in Specific chain rings, like SRAM and Shimano do. They are costly. Run a commuter on hollowtech chainrings, and you need to budget in an expensive ring once in a while.

My FS MTB has expensive chain rings, but I search ebay, and I'm happy if I get a new one for £50. They are £100 RRP.

I used to ride my best bike loads and race it, but I only had two bikes. I've got five now, so most use is on my commuter, best bike once or twice a week, then use of three others, so wear is spread out.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
It's no surprise really given that bikes have become a fashion accessory and a showcase for the latest tech rather than the workhorses of yesteryear.
No real reason for people to want to change gear 0.012 seconds faster or to use a titanium frame that's a few grams lighter than steel or whatever, but it looks nice and blingy. Di2 is what the racers use innit so why can't I?
The majority of Cyclists don't worry or care that a BB won't do intergalactic mileages or consider it normal to change your bike every few years. It's all about choice, if you don't like it you go with the old skool stuff.

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
when Shimano's utterly unglamorous UN55 lasts about three times as long and you get change from 30 quid.

I got 31,000 miles out of my last HT 2 external BB and you can buy them for £15. Why are you sticking with something more expensive that doesn’t last as long? 🧐

These items are cheap consumables and I really wouldn’t worry unless things are lasting less than a week.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
1688905443283.png

OP
OP
C

chris667

Guru
Thank you @Bollo and @Drago for being interested enough in my thread to say you don't care what other people spend their money on. I find what you are both saying very interesting.

I don't care either. I just wanted to know what the lifespan of modern stuff was.

Top Bottom