How to make a high quality bike look like a heap of scrap

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wester

Guru
A i have just bought a new quality Carrera bike which i will have to lock up outside a London underground station when i complete my commute to work i know it is going to be a target for a bike thief

My question is how do i make my bike look like it is not worth stealing i know locking it up with a high quality lock is one option . any others ?

vickster

Legendary Member
Take the seatpost/saddle/a wheel with you. I don't think just making it look tatty will make a difference if someone really wants it

D-lock for rear wheel and frame, decent cable / chain for front wheel (if you don't take it with you)

Leave it in clear view of any buildings/CCTV; make sure it's insured; get it security marked by plod in case it is stolen and recovered

vickster

Legendary Member
Taking the seatpost/saddle/wheel with me is not a option

why not? fir a quick release collar, saddle, seatpost will easily go on a bag for life, you're getting on the tube presumably?
Wheel is harder granted, fit security skewers if it has QR

Reactions: C R

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Carrera high quality ? They are OK, perfectly good commuter bikes. I'd use good locks, simple. People will see through what components it's fitted with, but there is no point trying to make it look rubbish. Anything quick release needs security fittings and a good set of locks - good d-lock and an additional lock. Make sure both wheels are locked up too.

I've commuted on really nice bikes most of my life, but use good locks.

Jody

Stubborn git
Carrera high quality ?

Oooof

icowden

Veteran
A i have just bought a new quality Carrera bike which i will have to lock up outside a London underground station when i complete my commute to work i know it is going to be a target for a bike thief
Is there really no secure bike parking you can use at your work, or nearby?

si_c

Guru
If you want to get it looking really scuffed, you could get some automotive wrap in say a matt black and cover the whole frame then put loads of ratty stickers on it or sand the wrap down so it looks awful.

Go on ebay and look for a good quality but tatty saddle - mine are all scuffed from unplanned interactions with asphalt - and swap it out.

Learn how to d-lock you bike up (I use two d-locks in less safe areas) at least one should go through the front frame and one through the rear wheel and frame and a cable lock through the front wheel.

Park it next to a more expensive looking but less well locked bike.

Top Bottom