How to make a high quality bike look like a heap of scrap

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Carrera high quality ? They are OK, perfectly good commuter bikes. I'd use good locks, simple. People will see through what components it's fitted with, but there is no point trying to make it look rubbish. Anything quick release needs security fittings and a good set of locks - good d-lock and an additional lock. Make sure both wheels are locked up too.

I've commuted on really nice bikes most of my life, but use good locks.

Personally I do think Carrera are pretty decent quality but it depends on model and what you consider a good spec. Last I heard many of the bikes were made by Insera Sena (who own the Polygon and Marin brands). They also make bikes for brands like Kona, Saracen, Scott and some of the Go Outdoor brands like Calibre. However Halfords tend to go for stronger heavier frames typically which is good or bad depending on your viewpoint. Components really dictate the quality of the bike mostly so it really depends on model. Remember though a £500 Trek mountain bike has basic XCT forks, cable disc brakes and tourney drivetrain with a freewheel where as £500 for a Carrera gets you a much better fork, decent Altus drivetrain, hydraulic disc brakes and generally better components. A brand snob will consider the Trek superior to the Carrera without looking at the spec at all and what a terrible product it is for £500. The Carrera brand would offer a real mountain bike for what Trek would offer a pretend mountain bike for.

Drago

Legendary Member
Yet Carrera frames are made by the same people who make Merida frames, and people cluck and coo over them.

Nothing wrongneith carrera frames, andmthey are actually competitively light and svelte, no weightier that similarly priced competitors from big names. It's the componentry that weighs it down and, as you rightly allude, anything else at that price point is similarly lumbered with Suntour forks, heavy rims,etc.

The only thing wrong with Carrera at their price point is the name Carrera.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
They are half decent bikes, I said we had two in the stable. Our two have SRAM X5 and X4 which has been faultless - bikes we've had for over 10 years - both my 'kids' grew up with them. They aren't 'high' quality. The key is to lock it well. You can't really disguise a newish bike, or a well maintained old bike so lock it well.

Take the seatpost/saddle/a wheel with you. I don't think just making it look tatty will make a difference if someone really wants it

D-lock for rear wheel and frame, decent cable / chain for front wheel (if you don't take it with you)

Leave it in clear view of any buildings/CCTV; make sure it's insured; get it security marked by plod in case it is stolen and recovered

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Mine was security marked by plod and the copper I reported its theft to didn't know they had a marking scheme. When I had it done there were two coppers putting the unique number on my bike, recorded it in a paper form I'd filled with my contact details and bike details. While the first copper put the mark on the second entered the details of the form onto a database on a laptop he had along with unique code and where on the bike it was. They had a lot of security information and it looked like a big scheme in the area over a few weeks in different locations. Yet the officer in the station hadn't heard of it!

Sorry, if it's stolen it is almost never going to be recovered. Even if registered with all the various bike registration schemes or even police schemes.

A lot of bikes were being stolen in lancaster area a few years ago. From people I knew I heard that there were a few scousers working the area with local thieves and they were passing them on to a local bike fencing gang. Less than half a month after my bike was stolen the police raided two houses used by that Bulgarian gang and recovered £80k plus in bikes and bike parts. I reckon mine were among them but the police never checked them for registration marking. I did hear who nicked my bike but I only had the name nothing else. Another bike nicked with mine got sold by that guy to a local and the legal n owner got it back when he saw it, he was a big lad!

Sorry to be negative but police are no help with stolen bikes, and police schemes can be very sketchy and useless. If you leave a bike anywhere for a long time best use a rat bike you're not bothered if it's lost to you.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Sorry to be negative but police are no help with stolen bikes, and police schemes can be very sketchy and useless. If you leave a bike anywhere for a long time best use a rat bike you're not bothered if it's lost to you.

Or make sure it is insured and take a photo of it every time you leave it - to show that is was locked
Then you also are not bothered if it is lost as it become "New Bike Time"

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
List price for my commuter would be around £2.5k as I've swapped the wheels for handbuilts with 105 hubs and converted from cable to hydraulic brakes. Reynolds 853 steel frame and a lovely colour. You can hardly see the group set markings or rim decals and the frame looks like, well, shoot.

Last time I washed it was before I did lejog, which if memory serves me was in 2021.

It blends in well. :rolleyes:

View attachment 721728

The thing is, it's a really good bike, anyone that knew their stuff would know it, so 'hiding it' doesn't work. Just lock it properly. Look your £100k Range Rover is easier to steal !

PS the dirt doesn't slow this man down ! :okay:

Yet Carrera frames are made by the same people who make Merida frames, and people cluck and coo over them.

Nothing wrongneith carrera frames, andmthey are actually competitively light and svelte, no weightier that similarly priced competitors from big names. It's the componentry that weighs it down and, as you rightly allude, anything else at that price point is similarly lumbered with Suntour forks, heavy rims,etc.

The only thing wrong with Carrera at their price point is the name Carrera.

Carrera's used to be made by Merida but that was a long time ago. The Taiwanese brands are quite expensive now. I think Halford's also used Giant at some point. Giant and Merida are the two big bike manufacturers of Taiwan that manufacture and sell under their own brands as well as do OEM work but the OEM work is really for higher end models nowadays which have a margin for their more expensive products. Fuji-ta is the big OEM manufacturer and they have factories in China, Vietnam, Cambodia and possibly Thailand but recently Halfords have been using Insera Sena of Indonesia for many of their Carrera, Voodoo and Boardman mountain bikes and possibly other types of bikes. A lot of halfords bikes have been made by them. Halfords are quite clever at constantly changing factories to get the best deal. Very old Halfords brand bikes were made in the UK by factories like Raleigh.

The Carrera frames are marginally heavier but then its a very small difference in weight that I personally don't think is important and Halfords bikes have very high weight limits, lifetime frame guarantee and despite their huge sales in the UK Halfords almost never have frame recalls. You compare that to Decathlon who have had a huge amount of frame recalls for bikes including Rockriders and step thru models and their weight limits are much lower. Also worth pointing out that when it comes to mountain bikes strength adds weight. A Trek with a 28mm stanchion XCE or XCT forks and basic freewheel and cable disc brakes is going to be lighter than a Carrera mountain bike with a freehub drivetrain with more metal components and Suntour XCM forks with 32mm stanchions. Carrera will add weight by making a much stronger bike. However if you are really using a bike off-road you need strong components even if at the entry level pricing their performance is more rudimentary compared to high end air forks.

At the end of the day US and European bike brands don't really make anything almost all of it is coming from Asia and at best getting assembled in Europe. Most brands are just importers and don't put much design input into their entry level bikes because they can't afford to. I don't want to pay £250 extra to get a similar bike to a Carrera from Trek I personally don't think Trek stickers are worth that much. Halfords are basically a factory to retail business model and they sell at high volumes with a low margin, the logistics mean much better value than most brands. I don't need Halfords to sponsor a huge amount of sporting events, spend a lot on marketing or create margins for wholesalers and small independent bike shops that doesn't add value to me.

Also some of the entry level Trek frames use mechanical forming which is the cheapest way of bending tubes to make a frame and creates some pre-fatigue which has to be compensated for by additional metal material so its not just cheap components on entry level Trek bikes its also cheaper frame construction which is an invisible cheapness that most buyers won't see. At the time the Carrera models mentioned hydro-forming tubes which is the next quality level up.

I guess I'm quite a fan of Carrera because of their value and being a bit of a cheapskate. I see many people with the right brand on what can only be described as a very poor value bike. Especially when in the UK we have about £150k of government debt, pension liabilities and other liabilities on every single person's head from a baby just born to someone on their deathbed. To keep buying inflated price low value products is economic suicide.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
2nd post on this subject in as many weeks, but because I have nowt better to do..

You have a wide range of thieves after a wide range of bikes; from educated, brazen and well-equipped career criminals out for high end gear to sell on, to opportunist smackheads just looking for an easy route to viable transport to their next score.

I don't buy into the singular "best security will see you right" argument - if the target has sufficent value it only takes one big, brazen bloke in pseudo-official-lookin high-vis thirty seconds with an electric disc cutter and it's gone. Public likely won't challenge them and the police really don't care.

At the other end your smackhead is out for easy targets; anything is fair game if it's "secured" with a crap lock that can be defeated with the bolt cutters they robbed from someone's shed last night.

Best approach IMO is mult-faceted - in terms of gear, make sure it's undesirable / unattractive, for some of the reasons discussed in this thread (love the fake rust!). Use a decent quality lock; the grottier-looking the bike and more hardcore the lock, the less likely it is to go walkies. Choose where you lock the bike up - ideally somewhere very public, well-lit, within your view and for the least time possible.

Thankfully I've never had a bike stolen, but then generally I only ever leave old / low-value / unfashionable steel locked up, and even then it's with a reasonable lock and for as-short-a-period as possible.

Last edited:
Usually the answer is to buy a ratty old bike in the first place and just ensure the mechanics are sound.

This is the best option; I cycle commuted to college for two years on a "old" but well maintained MTB and left it locked to a railing (with a very solid lock) every day. We don't have CCTV here so it wasn't in view of any cameras.

Mind you, it was happened to be in a neighbourhood of Stuttgart which had a Porsche on every second driveway, so I expect it was not posh enough for the local bike thieves.

Fit Apollo or,even better, Townsend decals to it.

Townsend that is a blast from the past. Sadly I would include Muddyfox to that list nowadays and whatever brands Sterling House used to use, I remember the Exodus Havoc as I bought one, a quality mountain bike for £29.99 brand new.

Top Bottom