Broken Carbon, and I feel happy.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Good afternoon,

To partner my Broken Steel thread ^_^ https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/broken-steel-i-guess-i-was-lucky.273776/ I have recently broken my carbon fibre frame.
IMG_1940.JPG
There is a crack in the downtube a couple of inches down from the headtube whilst it may not be obviously bad in the photos it is large and the frame changes sound with a coin tap around that location and you can feel a rough edge.

I bought the bike used without a mileage statement but its condition suggested almost unused and I have probably added around 20k miles [edit I got confused as I think in km but post in miles].

Surprisingly I am quite pleased that it broke as it has forced a choice, I was using it as a commuter and was starting to resent the running costs, the commute is quite long for 5 days a week 46 weeks a year and it was clearly the wrong bike for the job durability wise.

1688827519150.png

When I started I thought that I wouldn't mind the costs, but PF30 BBs seem to last 6 months (5k miles), Ultegra rings around £120 a year, quite a lot of wear here;
IMG_1928.JPG
, chains every other month etc. but I did.

Maybe if I had stocked up with everything at the start of the year and just "sucked it up" it would have been different, but I do still have a set of BB bearings unused along with a spare chain and cassette and a Shimano to BB30 adaptor.

So I am now back onto steel with square taper and 2x8 speed, D/T shifters and its lovely to lose the bone shaking ride of CF and I feel that I am "back home."

In truth when I feel like going fast I am desperately missing the Di2 and the frame flex reminds me of why frames went to CF or large diameter tubes.

When I would rather be in bed I am quite happy to ride in the same gear and letting my cadence go all over the place.

If I could flip a switch and make the Di2 8 speed it would be on the steel bike by now, even with the necessary ugliness that the external battery and cabling would introduce.

In summary, that a bike actually had running costs and a maintenance schedule that was significant to me really surprised me and has made me question my next bike choice. Its no longer a question of okay I don't need 12 speed cassettes but so what they are harmless so let's buy the bike anyway.

Bye

Ian

Last edited:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Sorry to hear but @IanSmithCSE you are going through frames quickly .

So what's it going to be new or used ?

Good afternoon.

I really don't know.

The 753 Raleigh that I have mentioned a few times, ^_^ is performing commute duties admirably although I am getting close to giving up on the Sun Race shifters, they were intended to be a stop gap whilst waiting for something ideal on ebay and that was a bad plan.

As this is not really a real 753 Raleigh I am quite happy to use it and if rusts as a result of winter rides so be it.

A guy I work with volunteers at a bike charity and he bought in what appears to be an almost unused, but 13 year old Gary Fisher Super ION (Trek).

1688831339980.png

The trouble is age wise CF forks and rear triangle and as it is missing wheels and seat post/saddle, needs a new rear mech cable before you can test for 13 year old worn/gunged up STI and BB86, I decided to pass. :laugh:

It's quite nice to lookdown at the yellow band that says Not For Competition, it's relaxing, ahh Horlicks.
IMG_1949.JPG

Bye

Ian

Last edited:

Gillstay

Über Member
D

Deleted member 1258

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Bamboo bike seems the next logical place to go

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
That looks like a very healthy commute - fair play for undertaking that every working day!

Shame about the bike but as you suggest it didn't look like the ideal tool for the job.

FWIW the sales sites seem awash with dirt cheap entry-mid range steel tourers for not a lot of money - from the likes of Jamis, Raleigh, Fuji and others. For a commuter these would be ideal IMO.

By contrast to your DA example my Fuji touring has M590 Deore and steel chainrings that cost £10-15ea to replace..

It's always good to have a couple of other bikes to fall back on

I can understand your comment re the frame set

Here's a couple of retro stealies from around Worcestershire for you

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/795780142034524/ which i actually like

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/830882125273824/
That Riviera looks especially nice; would want some proper bar tape however!

They are both nice. Ian, if your breaking steel and carbon, then alloy looks to be the way to go ! :laugh: Break the habit.
I think Ally would probably fail quicker than either!

For just under 7,000 miles I was commuting on Decathlon BTwin 5000, its still good but in storage. During its time I think I replaced two 8sp chains and cassettes. My current work has better storage and I'm using a Kinesis T2 and I think at 10,000 miles I've replaced its chain/ cassettes twice also. I dare say I could have replaced the chain more often and maybe had the same cassette. For my 11-30miles oneway commute I prefer the agility of a road bike but thankfully as it involves a long train journey I'm only doing it twice a week or it would always be 11miles :laugh:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
been commuting on 2x8 since i started around 2008 ish .
On a variety of alloy frames
I could go bling on 10 speed but like you say running costs and ease of home maintenance make such bikes a better option for me.
Ride mate just had 2 new tyres, new headset and a recable from the LBS £260 ! i think they saw him coming .

Drago

Legendary Member
Good afternoon,

To partner my Broken Steel thread ^_^ https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/broken-steel-i-guess-i-was-lucky.273776/ I have recently broken my carbon fibre frame.
View attachment 698022
There is a crack in the downtube a couple of inches down from the headtube whilst it may not be obviously bad in the photos it is large and the frame changes sound with a coin tap around that location and you can feel a rough edge.

I bought the bike used without a mileage statement but its condition suggested almost unused and I have probably added around 30k miles.

Surprisingly I am quite pleased that it broke as it has forced a choice, I was using it as a commuter and was starting to resent the running costs, the commute is quite long for 5 days a week 46 weeks a year and it was clearly the wrong bike for the job durability wise.

View attachment 698017
When I started I thought that I wouldn't mind the costs, but PF30 BBs seem to last 6 months (5k miles), Ultegra rings around £120 a year, quite a lot of wear here;
View attachment 698019
, chains every other month etc. but I did.

Maybe if I had stocked up with everything at the start of the year and just "sucked it up" it would have been different, but I do still have a set of BB bearings unused along with a spare chain and cassette and a Shimano to BB30 adaptor.

So I am now back onto steel with square taper and 2x8 speed, D/T shifters and its lovely to lose the bone shaking ride of CF and I feel that I am "back home."

In truth when I feel like going fast I am desperately missing the Di2 and the frame flex reminds me of why frames went to CF or large diameter tubes.

When I would rather be in bed I am quite happy to ride in the same gear and letting my cadence go all over the place.

If I could flip a switch and make the Di2 8 speed it would be on the steel bike by now, even with the necessary ugliness that the external battery and cabling would introduce.

In summary, that a bike actually had running costs and a maintenance schedule that was significant to me really surprised me and has made me question my next bike choice. Its no longer a question of okay I don't need 12 speed cassettes but so what they are harmless so let's buy the bike anyway.

Bye

Ian

Thats not too bad. Should easily manage another dozen dives to the Titanic before it becomes a problem.

Last edited:
Top Bottom