I haven't really cycled for three months and feel anxious getting out there again

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pawl

Legendary Member
Eleventh of October was my last road ride .The main reason was I didn’t like the weather
Only did ten miles but boy could i tell I had only been using the turbo two three times a week.
Plan will be weather allowing just to keep to around 10mile miles easy for the next three or four weeks.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Great work!

I managed to get out too - feel absolutely amazing for it tbh :becool:

postman

Legendary Member
I was off the bike for 18 months due to a hydrocele,dont look.Not even allowed to dig my garden.So after the operation plus a TURP op for the prostate,i was out after a six week rest.Riding was the point,slow steady Otley 25 miles.A couple of more again slow,and the last one 31 miles Ilkley,before i started on decorating the house.I never got out again,but i had done it slowly and i enjoyed every slow mile.This year i hope to add miles and a little faster,but times are not the important thing the ride is,so dont worry just build up.

A little late to the party.....

I must admit though I'm feeling a little anxious about my ability and dare I say even nervous.
I think it's really interesting that you use "anxious" to describe your "ability".
There's a reason we say "like riding a bike" - it's an ability once acquired that we find hard to lose.
I'm guessing then that "ability" is a replacement for "performance"?
Well, no offence intended but you wouldn't be the sharpest knife in the drawer if you went out in the expectation of performing the same as previously after a three month layoff, would you?

So... why so hard on yourself?

There are lots of different approaches to cycling. There's nothing wrong with having a few of them in your armoury.
so keep reminding myself that just getting out is a win.
Just getting out is one!
No performance, no ability grading. Just getting out.
Others are things like commuting, travelling and utility cycling. Going to the shops? Take the bike. Visiting a friend? Take the bike.

I've almost forgotten how beneficial cycling has on my mental mood too. That seems to of taken a downward turn to
I think, at times, we all do.
We have a habit of cycling and we get used to feeling good - we may even take that feeling for granted.
We stop cycling and that too becomes a habit. We can get used to not feeling good. And that low feeling becomes "normal"

It's good to have a few tools in the toolbox to help us out.
Photos taken on rides are something I have found inspiring at times. Whether it's a theme (churches, bridges - whatever turns you on) or the same shot at different times of the year.
Writing about a particular ride can be really good - it makes us focus, the thoughts and feelings can sink in making the memories more secure and of course, we can go back and read it when we're not in the same mood for a bit of inspiration.
I couldn't give a hoot about performance metrics but I love Strava for keeping a photographic record of each ride.

After a long layoff some would suggest a step by step approach:
Day one get the bike ready
Day two get the clothes ready
Day three combine 1 & 2 and get out!

At the end of the day, what works for you works for you.
Definitely riding slower (usually I average around 16.5)
Some folks would see that as a reason to get out again and start to improve..... others could possibly ask "what's the point?" and decide to wait for the longer evenings.

You got out on the bike, despite the anxiety, after three months off. I suggest giving yourself a break and being a bit kinder to yourself.

Hope the knee stiffness wasn't too bad today! ^_^

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
We have a habit of cycling and we get used to feeling good - we may even take that feeling for granted.

I think the latter is certainly true. It’s just your normal state, feeling good, and you may not reflect on what are you doing to cause that. Is it just your natural state, what’s contributing to feeling good?

For me, it not even necessarily cycling. It’s just being outdoors, walking, climbing whatever I’m doing. Sometimes if I’ve been staring at screen too long I’ll put it down and go outside for a 20 min walk round the block. Listen to the birds, feel some tree bark. Amazing the difference it makes to how you feel.

Jameshow

Veteran
Don’t worry about your performance, don’t worry if anyone overtakes. In fact if anything I’d say head out without any bike computer or GPS. Just enjoy your ride with no performance anxiety

Until a giant defy / gravel bike rider passes you and you say hey what do you think your doing!!!

Jameshow

Veteran
I think the latter is certainly true. It’s just your normal state, feeling good, and you may not reflect on what are you doing to cause that. Is it just your natural state, what’s contributing to feeling good?

For me, it not even necessarily cycling. It’s just being outdoors, walking, climbing whatever I’m doing. Sometimes if I’ve been staring at screen too long I’ll put it down and go outside for a 20 min walk round the block. Listen to the birds, feel some tree bark. Amazing the difference it makes to how you feel.

Agreed 45min run and half an hour's woodwork
has done the same!🙂

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Until a giant defy / gravel bike rider passes you and you say hey what do you think your doing!!!

Stick in their rear wheel spokes as they try to pass. Then carry on serenely

Top Bottom