If being stupid was a criminal offence....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joffey

Big Dosser
He's my mate's boss - no one knew he was at court... Now no MD for 4 months lolz

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Completely stupid thing to do but prison? He'd of got off with a community order if he'd beaten up an old lady.

He'd have got just a fine and 3 points if he hadn't illegally jammed the police radar.
And he might well have avoided prison if he hadn't destroyed evidence in the knowledge that the police were on to him. I've no sympathy for him whatsoever.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
This reminds me of a story I heard that may or may not be true, but I like to think it is.
A motorist was driving along when a police car went past in the opposite direction. The motorist flashed the Vs at the policeman and carried on his way. Unsurprisingly the policeman turned his vehicle round, chased the offender down and pulled him over.
"Why did you make that rather rude gesture at me?" Asked the policeman.
"You called me a w*nker!!" Said the motorist demonstrating the relevant hand gesture.
"Actually sir, I was telling you to put your seat belt on."

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I recall a similar case over a speeding ticket on the A1 at Scotch Corner.

The driver - who lived in Nottingham - played the cloned car card.

He did this by changing the appearance of his car by fitting EU marked number plates, removing a works car parking pass in the windscreen, and putting the tax disc in a different corner of the windscreen.

He obtained a receipt from a feed merchant near to where he lived to show he could not have been at Scotch Corner at the time.

What he didn't do was think the coppers would check his bank account, initially to see if he had paid for the feed.

This showed he had bought a McDonald's in Edinburgh a few hours before the speeding offence, thereby putting him at Scotch Corner on the way home at about the right time.

He pleaded to perverting the course at Durham Crown Court and got, if I recall, nine months.

His wife in the public gallery burst into tears and was last heard asking his barrister how she would get home because she couldn't drive.

The coppers told me afterwards they were on the cusp of giving up, budgets mean there's only so much police time available to investigate someone trying to wriggle out of a speeding ticket.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I'd knock him off for obstruction. Surprised they didn't.

This lawyer chappie gives a possible explanation for that:

https://www.motorists-lawyer.co.uk/blog/768746/laser_jammers_and_the_law.html

"Why perverting the course of justice?

The simple answer is that there is no statutory offence committed (because there is no legislation outlawing the use of these devices) and so there is no alternative, with one minor exception. If the operator of the speed gun is a police officer an alternative might be a charge of obstructing a police officer in the course of his duty. That can be dealt with in the Magistrates Court and can be quickly over.

However there is a problem if the person operating the speed gun is not a police constable as properly defined. Many are not and are Police Support Employees with speed equipment training.

The Crown Prosecution Service or even the court may be very reluctant indeed to see a drop from perverting the course of justice to obstruction if the person obstructed was not a police constable."​

Top Bottom