If Carlsberg made commutes...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
RedBike said:
Top class bloke; but he does have a tough time with traffic!

I know both his and GB155's commute route....Hyde Road is not much fun, nor the Denton Roundabout....

Matthames

Über Member
magnatom said:
Move to Glasgow then! :biggrin::biggrin:

That would be one way :biggrin:

But I have found a route that takes me out through the countryside and takes a short cut using a mixture of byways and bridleways, the only problem is it passes a couple of farms with the possibility of having a dog or two.

There is a possibility of cutting it even shorter, but that would mean very naughtily single track riding down what is mapped out as a footpath.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Matthames said:
That would be one way :biggrin:

But I have found a route that takes me out through the countryside and takes a short cut using a mixture of byways and bridleways, the only problem is it passes a couple of farms with the possibility of having a dog or two.

Hmm. My route does pass a couple of farms...I'll need to keep an eye out for dogs.

I'll be taking my normal commute home tonight as I am still a little unsure of the route, so riding it in the dark probably isn't the best idea.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

johnr said:
or E Yorks. Looked like a longer version of my commute. Nice eh :biggrin:
Oh yes! It's almost like I've fallen in love with my commute again! :biggrin:

It'll be interesting to see what it is like on a cold, wet, windy night though! :biggrin:

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Moodyman said:
Magnatom - What was your average speeds on this route - looks like you were flying?

My average for the whole route (which includes stops at lights, stops to check directions, which I partly edited out and faffing around at the end), was 12.7mph, so I reckon about 15mph rolling average. Once I know the route I'll be much faster! :biggrin:

Actually I think having the trees and hedges close to the sides of the road makes it look faster than it is.:biggrin::biggrin:

OP
OP
M

magnatom

P.S. Remember I did double the video speed to fit it in to youtube! :biggrin:

magnatom said:
Actually I think having the trees and hedges close to the sides of the road makes it look faster than it is.:biggrin::biggrin:

Oy! You've got that speeded up, unless you've got Benny Hill legs.

That's on the Winter Wibble as well.

gavintc

Guru
magnatom said:
S

Once in town traffic was heavy, so I cruised passed plenty of stationary cars/vans/trucks with a huge smile on my face. Why, oh why, does everyone drive to work? I really can't understand it. Yes, there are occasional irritations cycling in, and sometimes the weather can be a pain, but even if I was to only have one commute a year like this, it would be worth it.
! :biggrin:

I rarely hit the solid traffic on my commute as I am generally hit the city about 6.30 - 7 pm and the traffic has subsided. Well last week I had to go to the Post Office depot in the Gyle. I arrived at around 5pm and I just could not believe the traffic. I found it amusing that people do this every day - sit, not moving, eventually crawling forward. I was an absolute revelation. Why do they not cycle - sad sad people. It is just so much fun zipping alone lines of stationary traffic.

Top Bottom