If Di2 and mechanical were the same price..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
There's absolutely no way that the added features of electronics justify the cost/complexity to me. BUT:
if I must have one simple sensor-based feature, it would be a short alarm that went off whenever I selected my lowest gear combo.

That's all I want - every other situation I can deal with quite happily with friction-shifters on the downtube if I have to :smile:

You mean you don't already have a Bottom Gear Klaxon(TM) (R)? Just drop a few hundred dollars in my Kickstarter bucket and I'll see what I can rig up.

Last edited:

freiston

Veteran
All the people who think that the latest gear is a waste of money should thank the ones who like new gear. A few years later it all starts to trickle down to the lower grade groupsets. As quite a few don't like change who is going to buy my Simplex,Campagnolo and nice Shimano friction levers, all as new.

Eh? I've gone back and re-read this thread and no-where can I find anyone saying that the the latest gear is a waste of money. As far as "should thank the ones who like new gear" goes, I think you're expecting gratitude where it's not due.

People have said that Di2 is too expensive and is not value for money. They have given considered reasons for why Di2 is or is not for them. They have discussed the pros and cons and declared preferences.

P.S. I can't work out what you're trying to say with your last sentence.

Last edited by a moderator:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Eh? I've gone back and re-read this thread and no-where can I find anyone saying that the the latest gear is a waste of money. As far as "should thank the ones who like new gear" goes, I think you're expecting gratitude where it's not due.

People have said that Di2 is too expensive and is not value for money. They have given considered reasons for why Di2 is or is not for them. They have discussed the pros and cons and declared preferences.

P.S. I can't work out what you're trying to say with your last sentence.

Thank you. I was going to say that but couldn't be bothered feeding troll like behaviour.... :okay:

Sallar55

Veteran
It's a forum, people have different views.L ook back on this thread and you will find out that I don't have DI2, it's cables for me.

freiston

Veteran
It's a forum, people have different views.L ook back on this thread and you will find out that I don't have DI2, it's cables for me.

Whether or not you have Di2 has no bearing and changes nothing about your earlier post or my response to it.

There's a difference between having a view about a technology, articulating the pros and cons of it and whether it is for you or not, and what you did - you didn't discuss the technology at all - just the people; you criticised them for something they haven't done in this thread, telling them they should be grateful to others.

It's a forum, if you diss other contributors by posting condescending, insulting twaddle like that, expect to get "feedback".

Sallar55

Veteran
I am grateful to the ones who pay for the advances in cycling technology. Some want it but not the first batch , they wait until it's been tested by others. And then you have people who must have the latest gear. Did you not read my 1st post about paying extra just to press a button to change gear.

GuyBoden

Guru
If I was competing in serious competitive bike races. I'd buy the best bike and components I could afford. This would include Di2 and anything else that might give me any slight gain in speed.

For pootling around Cheshire, no, I don't need it, I still use downtube friction shifters.:laugh:

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I had to look it up but Di2 has been available commercially since 2009, so it’s probably gone beyond the early adopter stage now.

I found this article about market share and Shimano boss the road market while SRAM own the mountain bike world if you believe the numbers. I know it’s a pipe dream, but I’d really like to see is more brand choice across mechanical and electronic groupsets, maybe with 3rd parties producing a broader range of compatible components. Two companies dominating the market isn‘t good for the consumer, no matter what type of shifting or braking you’re interested in.

Petrichorwheels

This is a forum comprised mainly of people well past their youth, who remember a "Golden age" when things were better, cheaper and simpler. They were not, of course. Just that we were young, fit, in our prime, and that's where our best memories are.

Change is driven by the young, to whom charging equipment is second nature because that is what they've grown up with and who don't give a rat's arse about antiquated frame materials, down tube shifters and brooks saddles.

Every innovation in bicycle has been met with fierce opposition, as anyone who was around when a sixth sprocket was added to the back wheel will tell you. Thank the lord for the innovators and the early adopters who ignore the old coffin dodgers of every generation, because without them we'd still be riding penny farthings with solid tyres.

A generalisation about the young. Plenty of young fans of steel, downtube shifters and brooks. Me as a budding old git only a fan of the first.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I had to look it up but Di2 has been available commercially since 2009, so it’s probably gone beyond the early adopter stage now.

I I know it’s a pipe dream, but I’d really like to see is more brand choice across mechanical and electronic groupsets,
A few Chinese companies are producing electronic groupsets, and if you want mechanical you can get them for pocket money prices. Check out Youtube for some positive reviews.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I don't really want a bike that needs batteries to operate it. Most of my riding is long-distance or touring, and cables (changed regularly) are reliable. Having said that, if I was still racing (& I don't mean testing) I'd probably put electronics of some sort on (But not discs - especially not for amateur racing).

Top Bottom