If I ask pedestrians to move - do they have to?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snorri

Legendary Member
It's nice to be nice to others, helps us all rub along together!
:hugs:

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
The front brake on my hybrid bike has a most "unfortunate" squeal/shriek sound which, despite my thoughts to fix it, still persists. ;)

It slightly 'ups the urgency' if the peds have not responded to the bell (which is a "tring-tring", not a "ping") and they do tend to move fairly rapidly - and I always thank them. :smile: ... :angel:

:whistle: ... :evil: :laugh:

The ftont brake on my hybrid bike has a most "unfortunate" squeal/shriek sound which, despite my thoughts to fix it, still persists. ;)

It slightly 'ups the urgency' if the peds have not responded to the bell (which is a "tring-tring", not a "ping") and they do tend to move fairly rapidly - and I always thank them. :Grin: ... :angel:

:biggrin:evil: :laugh:
yeh - and that was the cause of my OH purchasing me a bottle of brake cleaner... instead of chocolates as a present! AHHHH

(Edit: got my own back today and marched him into a hotel chocolate shop and made him buy me some chocolate... :biggrin: )

mustang1

Guru
Like the others said, you don't have right of way. What you could do is get off your bike and make yourself a pedestrian, then just walk incruciatingly slowly and big the entire path. When they ask you to move, give then the same answer they gave you.

That sounds good, how do you make the back wheel skid safely - I've never tried that before?
As mentioned it's not the nicest way to treat peds, though sometimes very tempting. But a useful training exercise in getting used to how the bike feels when the rear wheel breaks traction. Best place to start is on grass where the back wheel will skid easily and you won't really damage the rear tyre. On the road, skidding will shred your tyres, but becoming familiar with the sensation will prepare you for when you lose traction on gravel or a wet manhole cover.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Pedestrians have priority
as do cyclist when riding slowly two abreast...we cant have it both ways.

patience and courtesy, works for me.
Of course we can - we naturally have the moral high ground because we're cyclists ... :angel:

Burn the heretic ! :evil:

:giggle:

But you just had an enormous amount delivered, you want more:eek:
I have generously been giving them away to family :whistle:... anyhow hotel chocolate is usually for my drinking chocolate which I was down to 2 servings of... and given I have a hot chocolate with breakfast before I go for a bike ride, that's tomorrow and Monday and then I would have been out of it :cry::cry::cry::cry: still haven't used the brake cleaner :laugh:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I had a bit of an embarrassing incident today. I rode up behind two people walking two-abreast full width on a narrow bit of unsegregated shared-use. Even if they were side-by-side a bit closer, I could get past, but no matter. I rang my fairly quiet brrring bell just so they'd know I was approaching (I've been told off for eavesdropping and for making people jump before by approaching too quietly) and the gent almost threw the lady into the side of a parked car! I sheepishly said thanks and accelerated past before I heard what she said to him because I think the air might be about to turn blue...

J.Primus

I had a bit of an embarrassing incident today. I rode up behind two people walking two-abreast full width on a narrow bit of unsegregated shared-use. Even if they were side-by-side a bit closer, I could get past, but no matter. I rang my fairly quiet brrring bell just so they'd know I was approaching (I've been told off for eavesdropping and for making people jump before by approaching too quietly) and the gent almost threw the lady into the side of a parked car! I sheepishly said thanks and accelerated past before I heard what she said to him because I think the air might be about to turn blue...
That is the worst. I've had someone launch themselves into a bush when I rang my bell cycling up the towpaths in the Leigh Valley. You do feel really bad but it is still really their fault....

Top Bottom