If I ask pedestrians to move - do they have to?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

heavens

I was cycling down a cycle path (a narrow one thanks to my councils knowledge of cycling) - the path did have a bit of grass to the side. I was cycling and there were two quite big buggies on the path. I said 'excuse me' and due to them being quite heavy and big and the path being quite narrow they told me to use the grass.

The grass might be wet at times which makes it muddy - and then I might get dirty (I cycle to school) - or a kerb of the path might be a tripping hazard.

Do peds HAVE to let me pass through?

No. But you have to give way to them.

upandover

Guru
@heavens Then that sounds good. people move on quickly quickly here. in so much as you can i would not worry about it.

s

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Back on topic. If the path is that crowded then it may be best to hop off and walk for a bit. It's what I do sometimes on shared paths, anyway. Very rarely, but sometimes, especially if there are little children charging about.

There's a section of shared path near where I live that I often ride on my way home to wind down for the last couple of km after a long ride. It's a nice path but you have to be alert for excitable dogs or feral toddlers leaping out of the bushes, and old ladies with trollies with knives on the wheels.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I've never encountered anyone as rude as the 2 with buggies that you came across. I quite often call out "ding ding, passing on your right", in a cheerful sort of tone, and people mostly get out of the way, especially if I pass them at a sensible pace and don't bomb past them. Although I mostly assume that the peds will let me past, I cover the brakes just in case. Of course the people with buggies may have just thought that, as you are young, that they can just be offhand with you. Some people are just like that.

Have you got mudguards on your bike? If so, you shouldn't get mucky riding on the grass for just a few metres.

Erudin

Veteran
I had a couple of dog walkers block/pretend they had not seen me on a cycle path I was riding on, I guessed they had been annoyed by previous cyclists passing them at speed/too close. I got off my bike and walked past them politely without complaining.

Crankarm

Guru
I was cycling down a cycle path (a narrow one thanks to my councils knowledge of cycling) - the path did have a bit of grass to the side. I was cycling and there were two quite big buggies on the path. I said 'excuse me' and due to them being quite heavy and big and the path being quite narrow they told me to use the grass.

The grass might be wet at times which makes it muddy - and then I might get dirty (I cycle to school) - or a kerb of the path might be a tripping hazard.

Do peds HAVE to let me pass through?

No, but you could jump over or around them like Danny Macaskill MIGHT.

If you are going to school why the hurry? Are you a teacher of pupil? Get up earlier and leave earlier so you are not in such a hurry.

Top Bottom