If I ask pedestrians to move - do they have to?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I'm sorry if I offended anybody - I suffer from mental health issues so sometimes I get placed in the same boat in terms of catogerizing. I feel a bit bad about those comments. I didn't intend to harm anybody.
This is a regular feature, you're in good company and your input I'm sure will be helpful. There's a long running thread about depression hereabouts.

CC and yacf have both taught me the error of my ways in some aspects of my thinking and behaviour. I'm sure I'm not alone either. It can be quite an education here ... 'it's not about the bike'.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
That sounds good, how do you make the back wheel skid safely - I've never tried that before?
Good grief, don't do it! Pedestrians have the right of way, no matter how frustrating you find it. Use it as a way to practice patience and tolerance - speak to your counsellor about it and I'm sure that s/he will make some useful suggestions about how to learn/improve these valuable and oft-neglected skills.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Wear correct clothing for wet and muddy conditions and you can ride on the grass and not get dirty.

You fail to mention if the grass was wet and muddy on this occasion.

Learn to get on with peds. It will make your cycling life so much easier.

Do pedestrians have 'right of way' on a designated cycle path and, if so, where is this legislated??
It's one of those 'interesting omissions' from the highway code. It is there by implication if you read the relevant section, but not there explicitly if you get my drift - but pedestrians are actually banned from designated cycle paths...(as in there is no equivalent "no pedestrians" sign used on them)

"Cycle Tracks. These are normally located away from the road, but may occasionally be found alongside footpaths or pavements. Cyclists and pedestrians may be segregated or they may share the same space (unsegregated). When using segregated tracks you MUST keep to the side intended for cyclists as the pedestrian side remains a pavement or footpath. Take care when passing pedestrians, especially children, older or disabled people, and allow them plenty of room. Always be prepared to slow down and stop if necessary. Take care near road junctions as you may have difficulty seeing other road users, who might not notice you.
Law HA 1835 sect 72"

similarly for pedestrians it states..

"Routes shared with cyclists. Some cycle tracks run alongside footpaths or pavements, using a segregating feature to separate cyclists from people on foot. Segregated routes may also incorporate short lengths of tactile paving to help visually impaired people stay on the correct side. On the pedestrian side this will comprise a series of flat-topped bars running across the direction of travel (ladder pattern). On the cyclist side the same bars are orientated in the direction of travel (tramline pattern). Not all routes which are shared with cyclists are segregated. Take extra care where this is so (see Rule 62."

Cyclists also get a "You should
  • be considerate of other road users, particularly blind and partially sighted pedestrians. Let them know you are there when necessary, for example, by ringing your bell if you have one. It is recommended that a bell be fitted."

I ask because only this week I had a 'discussion' with a young lady who was standing in the middle of a cycle lane on her phone who took vociferous exception when I asked her to stand in the pedestrian half of the walkway.

It was here

I ask because only this week I had a 'discussion' with a young lady who was standing in the middle of a cycle lane on her phone who took vociferous exception when I asked her to stand in the pedestrian half of the walkway.

It was here
That one is an unsegregated one, so my understanding is that pedestrians can use both sides (though I can't find this in the HCW at the moment). What it does indicate is that the pedestrian side is a footpath and the cyclists sides would therefore by default (?) be a bridlepath (?) which means that pedestrians can use both sides if you take it to the logical conclusion...
I usually just politely point out that if she was on the pedestrian side and I was cycling up the pedestrian side, she would complain as well. Then I usually leave before they have chance to say anything else.

We have a segregated one which annoys me intensely. Joggers are the worst offenders here because they jog/run up the cyclists side - there is a wide 1.5m grass verge between the cyclist and pedestrian paths. Usually they do move over to one side of the cycle path but not always.

That one is an unsegregated one.
Is it? My understanding is that the line and this sign means that it is segregated.

Doesn't really matter, segregated is only about politeness to pedestrians. You are morally justified in asking them to move, but if they won't? They aren't breaking the law, so no authority will intervene, and pushing them out of the way is assault.

Is it? My understanding is that the line and this sign means that it is segregated.

Doesn't really matter, segregated is only about politeness to pedestrians. You are morally justified in asking them to move, but if they won't? They aren't breaking the law, so no authority will intervene, and pushing them out of the way is assault.
yep sorry - I am thinking of different versions of segregated... apologies. (was thinking where there is something more solid that a white line separating peds from cyclists - still too early for me in the morning, need more caffeine..)

It was here
Yeah, you were certainly within your rights to ask her, but there's not much you can do if she's going to be a total arse** about it

**oh, you can say "arse" without censorship!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Actually with the ones who are almost trying to be awkward, I would rather go on the grass and not show them any irritation as I assume they are looking for a reaction.

And there is one narrow shared path that I use (about 1 metre wide), where I think it is impolite of me to expect them to move to the side so I move onto the grass very early so they don't have to.

It's nice to be nice to others, helps us all rub along together!

More seriously there is no "right" in this case

Last time this happened I was fortunately moving in the opposite direction. They were not budging, so simply stopped the trike in the middle of the path, considerately giving way

Shame they both had to go on to the grass to get round me!

moo

Like motorists, non-cycling pedestrians will assume anywhere they can walk belongs to them. Ringing your bell will often get the "sod off, I'm not moving" reaction. Assume this to be true and slow down, preparing to stop or even dismount behind such people.

Top Bottom