If it was any of you

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tynan

Veteran
ooo, this reminds me

coming home on Friday, the road was closed at Maryland, stabbing to death init

I went up a tiny side road to work around and followed a bike in front the wrong way up a one way street, in evading oncoming diverted traffic I nearly ran into a half dozen of the local yoof astride their cruisers or whatever they call them dreadful bikes

me in bib longs, CC LS, clipless and shades and hat, they 'wanna race?'

me 'yeah but all the way to Walthamstow yeah?'

ringleader, 'yeah!'

general laughter and hilarity, it was a good moment, always nice to find a common chord with different people

my fiancee used to get really annoyed with me if i didn't spot her and wave as i rode past until i explained that she was on the pavement more than a foot from the edge so didn't concern me in the moving objects sense as i see things moving or capable of movement, work out speed and trajectory and then work out if i need to take avoiding action ;)

does make it hard to meet her half way somewhere when I go to walk her home from something cos i usually race past and don't hear her shout!

JamesAC

Fab Foodie said:
I'd always offer assistance to another cyclist having a "mechanical" even if it's only a p*ncture. That's how the wheel of Kharma works.

+1

I just slow up a bit and ask if they're ok. So far, they've always said "yes". Which is probably just as well.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I always ask whether folk have got the tools they need etc. Most involved thing I've done (so far) is spend five minutes re-indexing one chap's gears so his front derailleur shifted cleanly.

I don't think being a cyclist makes you any more disposed to exuding milk of human kindness. People are people - some will say hello and some won't, some will ask if you're ok and some won't. Generally, IME of commuting, more won't than will.

bryce

I sometimes give a nod to the lycra roadies in Richmond Park or out in the surrey hills but commuting into London I don't even acknowledge other riders' existences - unless they're in lycra, keeping up with me and showing good 'urban cyclecraft' - then they'll maybe get a nod or a thumbs up.

It's not really a nod or a wave to say hi though - it's more of a nod to say 'Chapeau!' to other good riders.

Origamist

Legendary Member
bryce said:
I sometimes give a nod to the lycra roadies in Richmond Park or out in the surrey hills but commuting into London I don't even acknowledge other riders' existences - unless they're in lycra, keeping up with me and showing good 'urban cyclecraft' - then they'll maybe get a nod or a thumbs up.

It's not really a nod or a wave to say hi though - it's more of a nod to say 'Chapeau!' to other good riders.

Can't beat a bit of elitism on a Monday morning....

I find the more riders ignore me, the more inclined I am to ignore them. I'm not against being polite, but just because someone's also riding a bike doesn't especially make me want to greet them. I'd rather concentrate on the road.

Bit like that old thing with classic VW Beetle drivers flashing headlights at each other. What's that all about really?

bryce

Origamist said:
Can't beat a bit of elitism on a Monday morning....

Utter arrogance isn't it. But you have to draw the line somewhere. If I said hello to every day-glo commuter in London twice a day I'd lose my voice. Of course a day-glo commuter could well be a Cat 1 rider as well.

Unimaginative

Über Member
Generally, if they seem to be getting on with it, I just ride on past (no need to bother someone if they're already sorting it). If they're standing there looking lost, or they're walking their bike on their own I'll slow down and ask if they're okay. Although, so far I've only encountered one guy walking their bike, and he'd snapped his chain. I now carry some spare cable ties, string, etc. so even in that situation he'd be able to 'ratchet' his way home a bit quicker than walking.

Will1985

Über Member
I find that lone riders coming across other lone riders are far more likely to nod or wave/raise their hand than larger groups or serious club runs who will steadfastly look ahead. Perhaps they are concentrating on the wheel in front, but that's no excuse for the lead riders.

Plax

Guru
I was appreciative of a very nice chap who stopped for me this morning. I'd changed the tube, and was having difficulty getting the last bit of the tyre back on the rim. He said he probably had stronger thumbs than me, and sure enough just pushed it in no problem. There was me struggling for the last 5 mins! Thumb exercises on the agenda for me :biggrin:.

I've never seen a cyclist in distress but I'd be definitely inclined to offer assistance if I did as I know from personal experience what a life saver it can be.

As for other cyclists saying hello. I always smile and nod at least, and I get far more cyclists saying hello/nodding at me if I'm on the tourer than on the hybrid. I find old guys on tourers tend to also wave at me, in which case if it is safe to do so I'll wave back.

Top Bottom