If my chain snapped on a long ride...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
...how would I fix it on the roadside?

I have a chain tool (which I bought ages ago to do a chain replacement). What kind of link would I need?
Are there any video tutorials on how to do this type of repair?

I must admit I never carry a chain tool with me on my short commute, but the chain did snap once, and I still had another 4 miles to get home.

Thanks

Crankarm

Guru
Buy a few SRAM quick links instead of faffing about with a chain link tool by the side of the road. What speed transmission does your bike have as SRAM don't do 10 spd quick links? I tried Shimano and Campag specific KMC quick links but they were crap as neither fitted the respective 10 spd chains. So for my Campag 10spd I got a Wipperman Connex 10 spd quick link which is good but flippin' expensive compared to SRAM counterparts.

If your chain is 9spd then the SRAM quick link is perfect either for Shimano or obviously SRAM chains. I bought a few when CRC had them on offer. I think with KMC quick links you have to have a KMC chain.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
What Cranky said.

Google for 'how to fit powerlink' and videos, and you'll likely end up with something :biggrin:

One thing worth knowing is that you possibly already have a powerlink in the chainline. It'll be recognisable by a little slot on the side plate where the pin goes through. If you have, you can practice fitting and removing without actually needing the chain to break first! :smile:

Recommend you also carry a little c shaped piece of wire (to hold the ends close whilst you're faffing) and a pair of disposable gloves (next time you visit a petrol station forecourt.)

Perfect your technique in a warm dry house, before trying it on a wet dark roadside.

woohoo

Veteran
w.r.t. KMC Campag specific quick links, I've run one for around 2000 miles on a Campag Centaur chain and it's been faultless.

I go with all of the above about carrying quick links - However, in my experience you still need to carry the chain tool to remove the broken link from the chain so that you can fit the quick link

I find a old spoke cut to the right length and bent to the right shape is suitable for holding the ends of the chain together - If you get disposable gloves get the blue nitrile sort - latex tend to disolve

woohoo

Veteran
psmiffy said:
I go with all of the above about carrying quick links - However, in my experience you still need to carry the chain tool to remove the broken link from the chain so that you can fit the quick link

+1

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
Many thanks. I have a 9-spd chain on both the Sirrus Elite and Allez Elite. I'll check the chains to see if either of them has a powerlink.

The replacement chain on the Sirrus is definitely a KMC, bought from Wiggle.
The chain on the Allez is the original.

Just seen a few vids on Youtube that have explained it all! Good stuff.

Top Bottom