If there's a rustle in your tent now.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
.....don't be alarmed now..

It's just a rustley mat! Are all inflatable mats the same? First time I've used one, a Synmat expedition and the noise it makes when you move is astonishing. I've solved it by putting my microfibre towel betwixt it and the floor but really! Apparently it's not the noisiest either. Any solutions?

So that was what Helga was using.
It just sounded like she was in a bouncy castle.
Luckily l soon succumbed to the lager:
So it wasn't a problem for very long

OP
OP
C

Crackle

I should probably get a hairier chest too and bigger gears......

No one? Wonder if it's this dodgy Coleman tent then.

Bodhbh

Guru
I noticed it at first, but it's either stopped doing it or I've started to tune it out.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

I noticed it at first, but it's either stopped doing it or I've started to tune it out.
I find it pretty intrusive. If it was just me in the tent I might not notice it but my wife moving woke me up a few times. I see Synmat do a cover sheet which I might well buy to go underneath. In all other respects it's a comfortable mat, although sitting on it to cook or using it outside seems to be a no no as it's both too squishy to sit on and a bit flimsy for outside use, so not quite the panacea I was seeking. Now the Exped chair on the other hand, was worth it's weight in gold.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
True story from a mate of mine camping in the wilds of Yugoslavia in the 60s. There was some rustling of their tent, which was worrying as they'd been warned about bears, although they were certainly rare. Him and his pal were increasingly worried by the continual rustling that one of them eventually plucked up courage and went out to check. Turned out they'd camped on a migration route for toads. The toads were hopping along till they reached the tent, crawled up one side, the slid down the other side before continuing on their way

Bodhbh

Guru
I find it pretty intrusive. If it was just me in the tent I might not notice it but my wife moving woke me up a few times. I see Synmat do a cover sheet which I might well buy to go underneath. In all other respects it's a comfortable mat, although sitting on it to cook or using it outside seems to be a no no as it's both too squishy to sit on and a bit flimsy for outside use, so not quite the panacea I was seeking. Now the Exped chair on the other hand, was worth it's weight in gold.

It's the Synmat HL duo? The only thing I can think of is we started to lower the pressure a bit since we first got it - it seems more comfortable and less likely to cause the baffels to fail. It's packs ridculously small and light, but it's not the most sturdy mat. After inflating using the pumpbag, I used to top up the pressure a bit more manually, but I don't bother now.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

It's the Synmat HL duo? The only thing I can think of is we started to lower the pressure a bit since we first got it - it seems more comfortable and less likely to cause the baffels to fail. It's packs ridculously small and light, but it's not the most sturdy mat. After inflating using the pumpbag, I used to top up the pressure a bit more manually, but I don't bother now.
It's the Exped Synmat ul. I don't inflate it too much which seems to help with the rustling but my wife likes hers firmer which definitely makes it noisier. Pack size and weight is great, it's really only the rustle which irritates but as my wife is keen to remind me, I am generally irritable!

OP
OP
C

Crackle

They don't weigh much, do they, so that's not much of a recommendation.

;)
you're right! I don't have the exped chair, so it's a crap recommendation too.

Temporary brain fart, probably because I was just looking at them. I've got one of these, which is a bit more of a packing size and weight premium, however it was a boon for small tent camping.

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/oex-ultra-lite-camping-chair-p362066

upload_2018-9-4_16-9-1.png

Top Bottom