If there's one word I hate....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
"Fillum" ... as in "Have you seen the latest Bond Fillum?"
That's Irish.

As for 'horrible messes of' words, I've always been struck by what an ugly word 'pulchritudinous' is, given that it means beautiful.

D

Deleted member 23692

The phrase 'going forward' is the vocabulary version of eating celery.....

It serves no purpose whatsoever and adds absolutely nothing to a sentence. It tends to be used by those with minor management responsibilities as a 'badge of office' to show their underlings they are thinking about the future implications of their pointless thoughts and decisions...

...going forward!

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
'Movie' - when the correct English term is 'film'. :angry:

Movie is another Americanism which has crept in ... :headshake:

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I hate the word 'absolutely' which seems to have become incredibly ubiquitous these days :angry:
I couldn't agree more. Two of the Managers in my office use it about twice in every sentence. Other managerial phrases I loathe through over-use are "Actually" and "The bottom line is"

perplexed

Guru
"Lessons will/must be learned..."

Spouted in a serious, "sincere" way, by those in charge of any given organisation where there has been a monumental cock up. Which has usually occured due to conditions dictated by the same people saying "lessons must be learned..."

Brains

Legendary Member
The ones that I really loath are "Valentines" and "new years" as in what did you do New Years ? or how was your Valentines ?

Upskilling. Meaning learning. "We need to upskill the workforce."

Spawnrd from the management B/S bible, many other examples mentioned in previous posts. But this one really gets me.

Top Bottom