If you are an ex smoker, how did you go about quitting the habit?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Next time it happens, I'm just going to MTFU and not give in.
Easier said than done, but you know that anyway.

My trouble is I love the smell of a freshly lit one, I even like the taste, (at first anyway), but I hate the smell on my hands, lips and clothes afterwards.

Now if they made fags that made you smell of Lynx :wahhey:

I'm joking. I need to find a new emotional crutch so I don't relapse again.

Ive not smoked for almost a year.

The other week i could taste a cigar, it must have been in my head but it seemed real.

Weird.
I might appoint you my new emotional crutch Pete :cheers:

I can remember following your quitting thread and egging you on, huge well done Pal :thumbsup:

Linford

I've been nagging my very good mate (and best man) for the last 25 years to stop smoking (he is 48). I know he has been ill, and has lost his voice over the last couple of months or so, but I bumped into him this afternoon, and he told me he is likely to lose his voice completely and permanently when he goes for another op on his throat in the new year.
It is either that or he ignores it and the tumour kills him by (I assume) suffocation.
This is what you could possible look forward to if you carry on smoking.
It's all a bit $hit really :sad:

adamangler

Veteran
I'm 31. Stopped at 27, smoked for 13 years. There's no easy way to do it.just pure will power.
It's the hardest thing I've ever done. Climbing the walls. The key is really
Wanting to stop, not just because you think you should or someone
Else asks you to. You've got to take each day one at a time. Get thru
Each hour. To non smokers it may sound daft. But it is very very hard.

Chris-H

Über Member
I smoked for 31 years,desperatly wanted to give up but could'nt break the habit.I contracted the Norovirus illness nearly 3 years ago and never smoked since,if anyone has had that they'll know what just the thought of anything going down your throat does.Best thing to happen to me in a long time.

rosski

I stopped through lack of money and pig headedness. The cravings seemed to come in waves. The further i got into not smoking the further apart the peeks of the craving were. The trick for me was to distract myself with chewing gum every time the craving came. After the first 2-3 weeks it got easier. I havnt smoked in 7 years and quit the chewing gum habit too. Good luck anyone who is quitting

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
It's such a dumb drug, I haven't smoked habitually for years but still fancy smoking.

I went to a music festival a couple of weekends ago and decided I would smoke, in much the same way I might decide to drink red wine. This was my first weekend away without any parental responsibilities so I decided to get it all done at once. I had no interest in the mushrooms, weed or MDMA doing the rounds, all I wanted was nice rollies.

After recovering from the shock that 25g of Golden Virgina is now £7.99! I smoked myself silly all Friday night, partly spurred on by some 'Polish milk' some Polish fellas gave us. But my god I felt BAD the next day, my throat was stripped bare, my lungs were full of razors, my mouth was like a mummy's armpit, my head was in another county being trampled on by surly rhinos. I swear it was the smoking that did it; I don't think I was all that drunk, in fact I was chalet dad looking after my drunk friends?

Smoking. Bad.

But would I do it again....

monkeylc

Über Member
Thats it.....
Woke up this morning and thought, F**k It! I'm not doing this anymore.

So after 23 years of smoking roll-ups I've quit as from today.

I feel like crap

monkeylc

Über Member
when i met my girlfriend (now my wife) 28 years ago, she gave me the choice of her or the fags. i looked at her body and the size of her ************* and realised it was an easy choice. not touched one since!!

thought you going to say size of something else then :whistle: ,thats how it reads mate

Peteaud

Veteran
Thats it.....
Woke up this morning and thought, F**k It! I'm not doing this anymore.

So after 23 years of smoking roll-ups I've quit as from today.

I feel like crap

Ive been off the weed for over 13 months now, i feel great.

Keep at it, you will feel crap at first, but it gets better

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
I quit 9 years ago after smoking for 18 years, starting at the age of 18! Realised that unless I stopped by my 36th birthday later that year, I'd have been smoking for half of my life. Having a daughter who would turn 4 that year helped me too. My ex has a chronic health condition, and is likely to die much younger than she should, so I wanted to do everything to make sure I was still around & healthy for my daughter when she was older.

I'd actaually started to prepare to quit for 6 months beforehand - telling everyone that I was stopping on the 4th January once the festive season was over and I was back at work. I think that helped - got me into the right mindset by the time the date came. (I'd failed to quit numerous times over the years before that, mainly because I made a last-minute decision and then wasn't mentally prepared to see it through).

Come the 3rd Jan 2004, I had my last fag before bed and threw everything else out - rolling baccy, Rizlas, lighters and ashtrays. Haven't smoked since, found it pretty easy to get through the initial cravings with a packet of string mints, and haven't had a single urge to have one in the past 9 years.

Good luck!

monkeylc

Über Member
still off them :thumbsup: , the cravings last night were intense! :wacko:
felt very strange going into the kitchen last night to roll one.....(i didn't) But if you spend the last 23 years having a smoke before bedtime you end up moving like a robot.....
Plus all the people at work that do smoke now come in after having one and absolutely stink! my sense of smell has gone very strange?.

...........on to the next day

Panter

Just call me Chris...
still off them :thumbsup: , the cravings last night were intense! :wacko:
felt very strange going into the kitchen last night to roll one.....(i didn't) But if you spend the last 23 years having a smoke before bedtime you end up moving like a robot.....
Plus all the people at work that do smoke now come in after having one and absolutely stink! my sense of smell has gone very strange?.

...........on to the next day

Well done, good luck! Day 10 for me today, been bouncing off the walls for the last week :sad:

Some very useful stuff here: http://whyquit.com/

Top Bottom