If you are an ex smoker, how did you go about quitting the habit?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I got the flu!

compo

Veteran
I was single and looking for companionship using an online dating site. So many of the ladies specified they wanted a non smoker which was the real spur for me to quit and join the NHS quit group. It worked. I have been with my wife nearly 5 years and very happily married to her for three.

Drago

Legendary Member
I wound down over a few days, then stopped dead. Lots of coffee and gum, but in the end it wasn't too hard.

You gotta really, really want to do it though otherwise it simply won't work. Chemically its more addictive than some class A drugs, so without an iron will you may as well not bother.

D

Deleted member 23692

I just decided it was the right time to stop, so did so and went cold turkey. In all honesty it was a lot easier than I thought, and the cravings no where as bad I'd imagined they'd be. Being surrounded by non-smokers really helped though as there was zero peer pressure to 'just have one'

That was over 4 years ago.. but I know that I could very easily start again at any time... It's just my stubbornness that prevent me form doing so :smile:

screenman

Legendary Member
I had shock treatment, well I found out my girlfriend who is now my wife was expecting, I packed up that day and have not smoked since. I was only 18 at the time and had been smoking heavily since the age of 14 so not too long.

U

User6179

Cold turkey 4 years ago, if your determined you will do it!

Nebulous

Guru
[QUOTE 1868883, member: 9609"]If you stop smoking when you are healthy, how long is it until the risks of heart desease and cancer fall to the same levels of someone who has never smoked?
The only couple of articles that I have managed to find sort of suggest 10 - 15 years - which is quite good as I have now been stopped 16½ years. (smoked 30 a day for 17 years)
[/quote]

Old thread - and just found this but ................. the bad news is your risk will never completely fall to the level of a person who has never smoked.
The good news though is that it falls quite dramatically compared with if you had continued smoking.

gbb

Legendary Member
Like peteaud , I stopped almost a year ago after a relapse of three years smoking after 20 years off the weed. It was as hard to stop then as it was the first time. Started with nicorette ciggie thing you put cartridges in, but they were' nt really making it easy so went cold turkey after about 5 days.
The first week was murder, second week was hard but it all got easier after that. I still think I'd like a drag now, but won't.

And cycling a a lot less painfull on the lungs now.

When I eventually stopped about 12 years ago patches were the only artificial assistance aid available, and I used them to great success.

I've had a couple of minor relapses, the most recent being just last month following a personal matter.

TBH I don't think the deep desire will ever completely leave me, but as long as I know I can knock it on the head quickly, (as I have done again now), when and if I do have another relapse I can live with that.

Psyclist

Über Member
I've had a couple of minor relapses, the most recent being just last month following a personal matter.

+1, I'm smoking again due to a personal matter too. I've been smoking for 4 months now. I'm trying to do the same as I did before, smoke like I want, then gradually cut down from four then down to one, then go cold turkey. That's how I did it before.

Moral is, don't let the pressure of life make you start again. Sometimes it's hard, but fight the cravings.

Next time it happens, I'm just going to MTFU and not give in.

Top Bottom